World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 30ft deep sea fast fisher based in RyeHarbour and would like to find people to fish with allyear round. The boat is a Cobia fly bridge fisher with a 7.4 mercruiser and would fish up to eight but Id like to restrict it to 2-4 persons for comfort. I have not much experience so Id really like to meet people who have a boating and fishing background so i can learn and so the work can be shared. The boat is well equiped saftey wise and has fish finder radio and GPS etc You can contact me on 0208 986 8991. I would expect a contribution to running costs oh and the boat has a toilet and forward cabin and tea facilities. The fishing is good at Dungeness only a half mile out and there are many wrecks, banks,and rough ground areas to try.So if you think it sounds of interest please ring for a chat.DaveLondon

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Plowsy you dont fancy moving your berth down to Swansea Marina do you? I could offer you 50+yrs of angling experience, & 40+ yrs of boats & boating experience, so could Dog Hop, Psycho Billy & several others!
Come west young man , come west, your hand is about to be snatched off with an offer like that, good on you!
blueskip

·
Registered
423 Posts
some of the boats i have fished off have supplied the rods, reels, bait, etc but they are expencive to charter.
others have just supplied the bait and you have to take the rest of the gear but they are cheaper.
also you must always offer them drinks (hot/cold) and food.
i think blueskip is offering you a good deal. (he has helped me out with boats)
go on and good luck
beefcake

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Dave you might like to check out East Hastings Sea Angling Association which is not too far from Rye. This might be a good way to get in touch with a few local experienced fisherman. They have their own licensed clubhouse and have a Boat/Crew share section on their web site. I should be doing a bit of boat fishing around Hastings myself this summer but am planning to concentrate on inshore dinghy fishing.

www.ehsaa.co.uk

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Plowsy,

A dream come true for some lucky people.

I regularly charter fish with two - three others each month, I am sure that they would willingly pay but unfortunately I dont think that we would have the knowledge of boathandling that you require. Please PM me if you are willing to have a chat and I will phone you.

Chers

Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drew regarding CObia out of Rye .. we are moving to Dover and may take you out ring me on 0208 986 8991

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Dave,

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on this but it needs to be said :(

If you are expecting any reward for taking ppl out, even just a contribution to the running costs then you must be licensed & insured to take out paying guests.
So you are running the risk of falling foul of the MCA for running an unlicensed back door charter boat :(

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Plowsy I seriously suggest you contact a local fishing club as mentioned. This way you will meet people who really know what they are all about and not risk any problems with legality since you will just be a bunch of mates going out fishing and all chipping in for petrol. You can get to know everyone first by sitting in the club meeting a few times, chatting with them etc, perhaps dont even mention you have the boat at first, just get to know a couple of the guys.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Dave,

I know, I just hope they realise I'm not having a dig at the, only pointing out the legalities.

As I run my own boat privately I know full well the problems that can be caused by taking friends out. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
So exactly what are we saying here???

Senario 1: 2 mates, we'll call them Bill and John, decide to go shore fishing. Their chosen mark is some 40 miles away. Bill owns a car so they agree to share the fuel costs and go in Bill's car. So far so good. they don't appear to be breaking any rules.

After all, isn't the government trying to encourage car sharing? No one seems to be suggesting Bill is operating a back door taxi firm. It just makes sense.

Senario 2: Bill also owns a boat. Nothing flash. A nice 16ft Longliner. They decide to go fishing. Their chosen mark is 8 miles steaming away. So they agree to share the fuel costs which are similar to last weeks shore trip. It seems that so far is now not so good as this is now a back door charter!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm definately NOT having a go at forum members for bringing this subject up but forgive me for thinking this is getting just a bit ridiculous.

I own my own boat. Nothing flash. A nice 16ft a bit similar to a Longliner. I often fish with a friend who shares the fuel costs. Nothing else. Just half the actual fuel used on the day.

Am I a back door charter?? If so :banghead: something is seriously wrong.

By the way, I launch at Teignmouth in South Devon where we're catching a few nice codling at the minute. My mate cannot always go as I usually fish midweek.
If anyone is interested in a day out I'd love to hear from them. Drop me a PM.

It wont cost you anything EXCEPT half the fuel used on the day (about 6 quid!)

:preachon: OK, I'm off it now!!!

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

owenp said:
It wont cost you anything EXCEPT half the fuel used on the day (about 6 quid!)

:preachon: OK, I'm off it now!!!
Ok that is your problem .. that one little sentence is what makes you a back door charter boat in the eyes of the law.

You can take as many people out as you want but as soon as you ask them to pay anything towards the running of the boat then you are by law, chartering.

Btw for what it's worth I run my own boat privately, I can take anyone out fishing with me if I want, I can offer to take people out that I don't know.. providing I do not do it for financial gain. If I ask for 1p or expect to be given money towards the trip, that in the eyes of the law is financial gain and there for I am chartering .

I'm not doing this to get a dig at you, I just dont want to see anyone fall foul of the law.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Like with anything isnt there loop holes with this sorta thing.
A Simple re-phrasing to: Any contrubution to the fuel costs are welcome? Like car sharing, in the eyes of the law forcing people to pay wouldnt that be classed as taxing... Which without a licence is illegal if im not mistaken?
Im sure this would be the case.
If somone fails to contribute to the fuel costs, you can chuck 'em off your boat at the dock or refuse them access to the boat just because... You dont need a reason.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
SandTiger said:
Hmmmmm... Cheese on toast with lashings of Marmite and sausage sarnies with loadsa mustard :eek:hnoes: :eek:hnoes:
Here, forgot the massive supply of OXO I got in for the next trip.......:)....hmmmm...OXO.......:)
Learnt that one from a VERY famous Weymouth skipper.....you are famous Colin ...aint you ????? :) well he told me he was.....!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts