World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guy's thoughts are regarding a boat drivers licence, should it be a legal requirement to be tested for competance for boat handling, launching, safety etc etc etc ?
I know it would be a pain in the rear end to set up and expensive too.
I considor myself to be a competant driver and am clued up on safety, and all aspects of boating but it was'nt always the case.
Many years ago when I started boating as a young lad with my Dad He had just bought our first boat and when I think back to how we carried on, it sends shivvers up my spine.
No life jackets, flares, radio. Anchour chain too short. Travelling out to the Maunsell forts (7 miles) in a 14ft boat.
I know what your going to say, it was irissponcible and yes it was. It was 50 years ago and people were not as clued up then as now and it was just a big adventure to us at the time.
Of course over time experience is gained and after some near misses respect for the sea is second nature but in the beggining we were a disaster waiting to happen.
I was 6 at the time but remember the lifeboat coming out to us off Margate. I'm sure the RNLI would welcome boaters being educated.
So guy's, if you are new to boating please please do your homework before launching. Make sure you have all safety gear in working order.
Tight lines all and have fun but be carefull.
Chris.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It does hark a bit of 'nanny state' as boating is still one of the few relatively unrestricted freedoms that we can still enjoy and,my goodness, if it isn't already expensive enough as it is. In principle, personally ,id be against licensing.
Having said that, judging by what I've seen some boaters get up to since I started messing about afloat, you may indeed have a point. Nowadays with the wealth of free information available on line, particularly on sites like this, there 'should' be no excuse to put yourself and others at risk. The reality is quite the opposite.
I've had no formal boat training whatsoever. I consider myself to be a safe and competent boater and much of my knowledge has been gleaned from others and having an enquiring mind. I also ,at my age, have a strong sense of self preservation. I've made some hiccups,got in a few scrapes but can honestly say have never felt, nor put others at risk and have learned from my mistakes.
One point which I do think would be of use, is that prior to launching a boat at a 'strange' location, a prospective boater should have some form of prior briefing from say, a harbour master. Local information such as tide restrictions and hazards would probably be of more use and ,judging by incidents,at my local port,save on lifeboat turnouts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not convinced about the need for individuals to be licenced, but as a boat owner myself for over 35 years, I think the introduction of compulsory 3rd party insurance is worthy of debate. I have full insurance and a RYA Day Skipper qualification.
Like the previous contributor I look back in horror on how inadequately prepared we were for going to sea.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
It's only a matter of time.....

Although you probably won't be asked for your ICC if you arrive in your own boat in a continental port, it is in fact a legal requirement, and if you tow a trailed boat on the continent you will be asked to show it prior to launching. You can also be stopped whilst trailing & required to produce your ICC, insurance, title documents for the boat, boat registration papers & certificate of roadworthiness for the trailer (the last is difficult for Brits on holiday).

All those bureaucratic requirements will soon come to Britain.

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Any boat with over say 15hp yes!!!! As an experienced slow chugger boater i could go out tommorow and buy an extremely fast speedboat with no experience of driving one!!!!!All in all i would say NO!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, simple answer!

If you put yourself and no one else in danger then fine, do what you like, but when you have the potential to put others in harms way then this should be controlled. Insurance should also be compulsory.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No! :thumbdown:thumbdown
-Who does the testing?
-Who tests the testers?
-Where does the money go?
-What benefit will it truly give to boat users?

Don't pick a stick for your own backs guys.....take a long look at the way driving tests are going,remember, there's only a finite number taking their test. If you want to increase revenue you make the test harder to pass, call it raising the standard to make it more palatable, more money in the coffers from retests. Stick a requirement in for mandatory training from a recognised agency, a photo licence renewed every few years, possibly refresher training or accrued penalty points after "offences" and you're well on the way to an elitist, highly regulated pastime for the fortunate few. Don't think it would happen?
Ask yourselves this? Who stands to gain the most? The boating community...or a newly established training/regulatory authority?

A licence doesn't make you COMPETENT to do anything, it's your actions, conscience and morals that ensure you're not a liability to others out on the water, and I for one think that generally speaking, boaters are doing pretty well in that regard. The [email protected] ? They'll always be there, licence or not, in any facet of life!

·
Registered
787 Posts
In Canada they do it as I have one and its a total farce and just a money grab,, the test is an open book test and you take it over and over until you pass, and as said with drivers they have done the tests and thousands still have no idea how to drive.... so no is my answer

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
i can see the need for one,, new boaters should be educated in the safety and running of a vessel,, as said,, but then you could have all the experience in the world and still run into trouble, besides it is something to look back on and cringe lol a license wouldn`t be the answer, but, a few hours training over a weekend would be more than suffice i reckon,, a piece of paper don`t make you a qualified skipper over night .....so again my answer would be a resounding no lol

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
no way, too hard to control and would put too much restriction on one of the last mainly relaxed past times.

I do however think there should be a compulsory boat handling course like pb level 2 but on the other hand, there are people that do the level 2 and think they know everything.
a lot of boat handling comes from practise and experience in different situations which can't all be experienced on a course or test

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take a look at the cost of a PB level 2 course....and that's not obligatory at the moment for most of us. If it becomes obligatory, you can double that or more straight away,think it's for newbies but not "experienced" boat owners? Dream on, we'll all be taking it, or should we? Grandfather rights? How do you prove you don't need to take a test? By taking a test....:nono:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i can see the need for one,, new boaters should be educated in the safety and running of a vessel,, as said,, but then you could have all the experience in the world and still run into trouble, besides it is something to look back on and cringe lol a license wouldn`t be the answer, but, a few hours training over a weekend would be more than suffice i reckon,, a piece of paper don`t make you a qualified skipper over night .....so again my answer would be a resounding no lol
Yeah a few hours compulsory training would be a good thing. I have seen many incompetants over the years, including my family who I learned from and not what to do.
I saw 2 boats at Barnes margate lose the bottom leg of their outboards as they did'nt know the water depth. I even warned one guy to keep to the right of the slipway arfter 2 hrs after high water and give up 3 hrs after but he did'nt listen !
Maybe a basic education course where graphic photo's of accidents could be shown to alert boater's to the dangers out there.
Maybe after having a training course and gaining just a ticket it could reduce insurance costs ? but I doubt it.
Chris.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Take a look at the cost of a PB level 2 course....and that's not obligatory at the moment for most of us. If it becomes obligatory, you can double that or more straight away,think it's for newbies but not "experienced" boat owners? Dream on, we'll all be taking it, or should we? Grandfather rights? How do you prove you don't need to take a test? By taking a test....:nono:
completely agree, the prices will only go up if made compulsory and the training centres will make a fortune. I just meant that out of a license or compulsory course then the course would be the simplest option.

however, out of the two my choice would be neither

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agreed, but it should ensure you do a bit of training that reduces the chance of being a complete liability to others.

It all depends on what is required to gain a license and that is the critical part. PB level 1 or 2 perhaps?
Rearrange these words: wedge, of, thin, the, end.

Once you've established a requirement, you've ensured a necessity, which of course Will be added to! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts