World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

i'm planning a fishing trip to torness power station next week and wondered if anyone has any experiance of fishing there ?

i'v heard there is good bass/mullet and cod fishing ??

is there somewhere deceant to launch there ?

thanks

Richy

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
depends on what size of boat you have.
you can launch a very small boat/kayak from the beach at skateraw

otherwise you will need to use the slip at Dunbar harbour. £12 fee

the fishing from the harbour to the power station is inshore around a mile or less over rough ground. basically just keep trying spots till you find the fish.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If your boat is too big to manhandle across the beach I would forget Skateraw.

The old wood/steel frame slip is in a state of collapse.

Dunbar is only 15 minutes north if your boat can plane. Dunbar is an easy launch towards the top half of the tide. Possible to launch at low tide but there is a nasty dogs leg to the slipway.

Dunbar launch towards high tide. Check this for more info:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77395&highlight=boat+launch+slipways&page=4

I have tried boat fishing Torness area for bass. No luck!
Caught plenty of school bass off the shore though.

During the summer there are plenty of codling and some decent pollack within a mile or so of the power station. Often close to the reefs is the best fishing, but there are wrecks inshore as well.

The whole stretch from Bass Rock down to Saint Abbs and beyond can offer some excellent sport.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
forget skateraw harbour at torness there is a height restriction barrier which if your boat sat quite low would get under but also heard they have put bollards in place now so meant to be even more awkward as above better to launch from dunbar and head down you can see the power station and also not caught bass from the boat only really tried twice but plenty good cod,pollack,ling,wrasse,coalies,mackies etc. at the moment good uck let us know how you got on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for that !
what baits/methods work best ? muppets plastic worms/feathers or baits ?
I was inshore just a bit further up the coast, below the radar station off Tantallon Castle, a couple of weeks ago.

We were into pollack and cod using hokkis (pink) and muppets (green) tipped with mackerel strips.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Thanks for that !
what baits/methods work best ? muppets plastic worms/feathers or baits ?
All of the above!

I usually drift fish with one rod to fish muppets, small pirks, hockeyes etc - usually baited.

A second rod, usually a heavy spinning rod, is set with a 6'trace, 1/4oz weight , 4/0 hook and a jelly worm ,rag or sandeel bait. That's allowed to fish somewhere around mid-water. Usually it's pollack caught on that rod but it's suprising how many good sized cod also come well up to take the bait.

That's a pollack caught just north of Dunbar using that method last year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.