World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Could anyone tell me if there are any productive mothods of fishing from the boat here,I usually use Muppets tipped with Squid and find it very productive,Just wondreing if any you guys fish it differently and how productive it is???????As i am up there 2morrow all ideas are welcome:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So ive got it right then.Cheers.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Are you taking your own boat or on a charter?
There can be a lot of 'Dead Water' on Etive. First few times I took my dinghy I caught very little. Make good use of a fishfinder to find the whiting. Find them and the other species should be close.
If you have a small boat it can pay to anchor very close to the shore in some areas - I meen feet , not yards, out.
There are some places that will see you over 60'+ straight down and 120' within casting distance.
Try paternoster size 1 hooks straight down for whiting. Cast a flowing trace rig out for spurs/rays. Attractors, lumi beads etc always worth adding.
Usually found the anchored method much more productive than drifting the deeps.
Bait - anything fishy. Sometimes one bait works best so take a few options.
If you can take some rag. Fished on light tackle right against the shoreline you might find the pollack.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might throw the spinning rods in and give it a go for the Pollack.Cheers Pelamid.

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Fish the rag under a float around the rocky headlands etc - use a sliding set up.
I like to use lumi beads but always found hokais good !!!!
Used to alway fish 2 up and one down for the thornies sz 1/0-4/0 hooks
Good luck

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Peterthefisherman,
Will give this a go and report when i get back.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Don't go throwing your spinning rods in cause Etive is deep :lmao:
Spinning rod is first choice for the pollack. 1/8 oz leadhead with rag or jelly worm.
Cast it at the rocky shoreline and fish it slowly back down the slope and then even more slowly up to the boat. Treat it as you would if you were fishing for wild brown trout. The water is usually calm and clear - these pollack are very shy of noise. Fish with a large group of noisy mates and you will never know they are there.
The whiting are often at mid-water. Standard paternoster rig lowered to the bottom. No bites reel it up 6ft. Keep doing that until you get a fish. I have had bags of good whiting fishing 60ft down over 120ft of water.
For whiting and spurdog take all your old bait and chop it up as groundbait.
Use the polybag/heavy weight trick to get it down. At anchor the fish will usually find you.
Had the spurdog right up to the boat, feeding off scraps a couple of times.
If you have no fishfinder try trolling a regill or ragworm very close in. You will eventually find the pollack and coalies.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i found loads of spurs coming about 40 feet off the bottom , means you wont het any thornies but seemed to work a trick. Found this out as we were catching loads on the drop , evn before the baits had hit the bottom. remember to put out a hugh sleeper bait a cpoule of time ive been snapped off when using wire there are all sorts of monsters down there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi folks

i have fished etive a few times - i never blanked but then again i never had great results. i see there are mooring buoys throughout the loch and i wonder if it would work tying up to one of these and groundbaiting as was suggested?

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi folks

i have fished etive a few times - i never blanked but then again i never had great results. i see there are mooring buoys throughout the loch and i wonder if it would work tying up to one of these and groundbaiting as was suggested?
Tangler,

beware,

I found out the scary way that most of the "mooring buoys" are in fact creel markers, and if you tie up to one in a bit of wind, both you and the buoy can head towards the rocks, you look up from the deep concentration of watching your line to see the immenent arrival of the large grey lumps.

From one who has tried it, take care.

Thorkjell

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got up 5.30 packed my flasks etc. left at 6AM.Got to Etive 8 AM,On the boat for 8.30.Fished all day in all different marks and got my first take at 4.15 PM.Took five whiting and a Coalie for my efforts but no a Spur or Thornie in sight all day.Few guys on another boat said they had a couple of Spurs???????As the old saying goes if at first you dont succeed,i will try again.At least the weather held out for us.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Keep up the good work Boom Boom your sure to catch another thumper soon.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hey Boom Boom I would a rather have been out fishing at Etive with you n Captain Shimano even though nothing much was being caught.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
unlucky boom , might just be too much fresh water in the loch just now , but keep tryin you will get it right soon!!:boat: :boat:

·
Registered
295 Posts
try fishing your bait half way down then a bit further.some of the bigger spurs dont feed on the bottom.a skipper i know tried this and it worked a treat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
fresh water doesnt seem to effect etive as the the fresh water sits on the top ,and all the spurs etc are millions of feet below, etive seems to be pretty slow at the moment , but its afuuny place feast or famine in my experience.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts