World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to get hold of a little boat with an engine and hope to go fishing on it as soon as I can. My mum's a big boat person and she's going to tell me all i need to know so I dont drown myself and that but I was wondering are there any specific techniques when out on a boat or is it purely just a case of dropping your line here and there and seeing what happens

cheers

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Fishing for beginners is one thing. So is boating for beginners. If you want to combine the two you will have to learn them one at a time and some time spent learning to handle your boat before fishing from it is time well spent. As for the fishing part it all depends. There are many methods of fishing from a boat, it is never as simple as dropping a bait over the side (Wish it were lol) and depends on the area, depth, target species, fishing at anchor, on the drift, uptiding, downtiding, confused yet? :)

I'll move this to the Boat Angling section and let everyone give some of their own experiences and advice but my advice would be to book yourself on a local charter boat and let the skipper help you with set ups and rigs, tackle and tactics, and stick with your mum for the boating aspect, you should be fine. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, for boating I recommend signing up for an RYA powerboat course, not very expensive but worth it.
Please make sure you have a VHF radio and know how to use it, you will need a licence for one which has DSC. always wear life jacket. That's the boating stuff out the way.....fishing....there are much better people to advise on that than me, on this forum!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Boating;- Best advice I ever heard was "if in doubt DON'T go out"! That saying has been so helpful to me personally over the years. Many years ago I turned up at the slipway single handed with the boat ready to launch (knowing dam well that conditions were not right) and can remember taking the agonising decision to admit that conditions were past my comfort zone and forecast to blow a bit more! If I had chosen to go, I would have had no choice but to stay out for some time as this was a tidal location.

Fishing;- Stick your chosen bait on a hook and drop it off the back of your boat. Beginners tend to catch the biggest, rarest species on their first trip so anything goes. Once you have managed a fish or two, you can experiment and develop your very own techniques.

Regards

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts