World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16ft speedboat and I would like to do some fishing within the Plymouth Sound or surrounding areas.

I was watching a fishing programme the other day and they were pulling up all sorts between devils point and the torpoint ferries.

I have never done boat fishing before, would I be able to go out to the breakwater and try my luck on the boat. How do I can about catching the fish out on the breakwater and what area is the best to go

Can I go out there with a rod and try to float a few sandeels and see what happens

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the same programme - always surprised me though as fishing from a boat is marked as being prohibited in lower reaches of the Tamar (basically from the dockyard to the sound - and large parts of the sound as well!). Plymouth waters are regulated by the dockyard port of plymouth order - it can be found here...

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1999/uksi_19992029_en.pdf

Can anyone shed any light on how rigorously the fishing rules are enforced? I know they (MOD plod, QHM etc) are hot on speeding, which also forms part of this legislation...

As to fishing the breakwater, landing is prohibited, and fishing is banned in the western and eastern channels (either end of the breakwater).

You can usually find mackerel along the front of the breakwater and there are some nice pinnacles in front of the eastern end of the breakwater that usually produce pollack.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have fished from my mates boat many times in the tamar and had no problem. The police will sometimes buzz ya to see what your upto. As long as you dont go too close too the yard or anchor up in a main shipping lane you should be ok ( common sense rearly).:boat:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dont worry about fishing at the breakwater. Me and my brother drift around there in our 16ft dory all the time. Not a word is said by anyone. keep an eye out for the warships moving around though.Be very careful when fishing though because by the lighthouse and on the outer side there are many rocks sticking out at low tide. The fishing is ok and we tend to just drop a live sandeel or shrimp to the bottom with a 2oz weight and wait for the bite. Mostly dogs and wrasse around the breakwater so dont expect anything else unless your brave enough to get close to the rocks near the lighthouse were there are pollock within the kelp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyones help

This will be the first occasion I have been boat fishing so I need pointers on where to go. I have heard lots about the eddystone, where exactly is it and will I be alright going out there on a 16ft speedboat

I would be greatful if you could tell me the following regarding boat fishing in Plymouth as well

* What is the best area to start with, I don't mind if I am catching mackeral
* What set-up do I require
* I have never caught a bass and this is a fish I have always wanted to catch :secret: please :)

thanks, any advice greatly received

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do not attemp to venture to the Eddystone on your speedboat no matter the conditions. It is about 14miles out to sea!
If you want to catch a Bass try the outer side of Drakes Island using a Plug or freeline a sandeel. Another warning though its very rocky so watch yourself. On the inside of the island there are 6 yellow buoys which you can tie up to. Ive had Ray on a slack tide from here. As the tide comes in you can catch pretty much anything from this spot it really is pot luck. When the Macky arrive here its absolutly bannana's.
Between these buoys and the pier is always alive on high tide.
I should be going out on week on sunday so if you see a 16ft red dory and a big lanky fella whooping with delight give me a wave.
Tight Lines mate.:boat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts