World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i am off to maldives in 10 weeks, just wondering if anyone has any preferred methods, is it deep water ?, are lures prefereable to baits ?. i will b taking an strong uptider and reel filled with 30lb line along with a spinning set up as i gather all they seem to use is handlines. first time over there and have tried googling about it but not come up with much so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
One of our Club's German members fished there last year from several different islands - including some shore fishing that I thought was, shall we say, strictly verboten. Whoops! Any rate if you link to this home page - http://www.bluewaterfishing.eu/e_start.html - and then select Trip Reports, Malediven 2007 you'll see his report (& pictures) in English. As with the link that Martin suggested you should be able to pick up a lot of basic information on the Popper fishing and Trolling.

The norm though, from most of the islands, appears to be a few hours evening fishing in the lagoon with handlines and the guides - least from those I know who fished there - seem to positively discourage tourists using rods and reels. Sorry, I really can't suggest why. But the handliners do seem to catch reasonable Jacks and Snapper and, occasionally, Grouper, Morays and the odd Shark. Most of the Sharks though are cut off fairly quickly.

G

·
Shore fishing is a big no no, although, it seems only for some. Strangely, the island security guard left me alone and even brought me a bit of fresh tuna bait on a couple of evenings, whereas others had gear confiscated until they were due to leave.

Panamajack has kind of summed up the islands fishing to a T although there are a couple of "proper" angling set-ups and deep jigging or casting poppers is the way forward.
Angling journalist and forum member, Dave Lewis, has been spending quite a bit of time out there recently. Try sending him a PM. If he spots it, he should offer you some sound advice. Alternatively, he may well pick up on this post and answer directly.

Tom

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys, great info, and the report from the bluewater site was superb....now getting a few lures and poppers together and looking forward to the trip

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi,what island are you going to,take some trolling lures but they must have wire or the wahoo will bit them off,use reels that hold lots off line plus try putting braid on bottom and nylon on top if you are using small reels.if no big game boat on island local boat ok but take tube (2inch pipe by 12inch long)plus ties to tie it to boat as rod holder. good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there any info on cost would also be appreciated. I am going to Kuramathi on Sunday and will definitely be getting a boat but I just wanted to know about cost?

If you could also let me know the standard of equipment they provide as unfortunately I only own carp gear :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi,if no game boat there will be no tackle on island,take carp gear big-reel lots line plus wire traces,troll from back off local boat with 8inch lures,you can try popping near reef for gt ect.cost try to share boat,if not about $50 per hour.make sure there is a gaff on boat,and watch your feet Wahoo have razor sharp teeth tight lines.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i stayed at www.kuredu.com last november - some good fishing check my album :D

best way to do it is round up a few gyus at the bar to split the big game charter boat so its $200 a head and decide on take order - who goes 1st 2nd etc on takes ...... I also got a guide to take me popper fishing in a skiff one morning - cost me about $150 for 4 hours :D

hope you enjoy! and yes shore fishing is a no no ...

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i stayed at www.kuredu.com last november - some good fishing check my album :D

best way to do it is round up a few gyus at the bar to split the big game charter boat so its $200 a head and decide on take order - who goes 1st 2nd etc on takes ...... I also got a guide to take me popper fishing in a skiff one morning - cost me about $150 for 4 hours :D

hope you enjoy! and yes shore fishing is a no no ...
some good pics there mate, have sent you PM.
cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts