World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone help with fishing marks / wrecking, in or off shore fishing by boat ?

I am slip launching from Johnshaven.

I have GPS, and marks can be found, "IF" anyone will point me in the general direction of them ! LOL

As a "newbie" to boat fishing I will have enough work watching what I am doing with the boat, than spend months finding half decent fishing marks in these areas :)

Good baits to use would also be appreciated as I am normally a lure user.My email is [email protected]
Name is Mack

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
sorry m8 not fished from that area but a bit further down
auchmittie i used to launch from.
easthaven as well
go out on charters from arbroath.
this time of year is hit and miss due to most of the fishing is on the drift due to the rocks underneath.
will e-mail you later with info that i have
sultz

·
Registered
219 Posts
You should get some good cod fishing in the summer months. I have fished out of Gourdon on a charter. Was far from breathtaking but we had a lot of smallish fish from clean ground north of Bervie. The skipper was realy quite poor, the area has loads of potential.

I don't know any exact marks but any where there is creels should be good. Best thing would be to get the Admiralty charts for the area and look for features that way, although most of the wrecks etc will not be shown unless they are a danger to navigation which is not likey in the area you will be fishing. There must be loads about wrecks on the net somewhere as long as they are not too far away they should be safe enough to get to as long as you can navigate.

As for bait - worms, mussels, prawns, sandeels, mackerel presented on hokkais should work well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Craig
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I can navigate, read charts and my GPS Plotter, is even better than me ;)

I have scoured the net for wreck info and no one gives the lats and longs of the find it appears.

You are correct saying that the wrecks, unless a danger to shipping, are not always listed on the charts.

I shall just have to troll back and forth all day watching the Fish Finder and try various areas to find my own marks, I think.

Thank you for your information on the baits. THAT...is appreciated also Craig.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate have a look in your local library for dive books those guys share all their info right down to the numbers, you may well find them on the dive site on the web as well, LLoyds have a list of wrecks and so do the admiralty try a google seach for wrecks. good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

I tried online "wrecks" etc etc

Google / Jeeves and so on.

I only found one listed for east coast Scotland with the latts and longs included.

I laughed when I saw it as it said "approximately" wondering HOW you can be approximate with the Lats and the Longs....it should be exact....LOL

Diving information on the PADI sites in the area was the same near enough.

Plenty info on fishing from the ports / beaches etc but little to none on wrecks.

I am going to check the Lloyds register in the next few days and see if I can glean anything from that.

With the ones I have looked at up to now, they are very vague indeed as most are not sitting where they were thought to be.
No GPS in those days :-(

·
Registered
148 Posts
only sure way to get accurate info like that is to buy a navionics gold chart. About £220 per chart but will pin point all wrecks in the area. Best i can offer, i looked and looked for the info for myself once, but no one will give it freely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Harry
OK, that works.
Many many thanks for pushing me in that direction :)
erm.......... was I towed ? or was I salvaged ??? LOL

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mack,

I haven't boat fished of Johnshaven but watching the boats that do, they appear to drift about 1 mile offshore from just south of the big scar outside the harbour down to the caravan park at Miltonhaven.

Slipping from Catterline would also probably be quite good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Seaside.

Ok on positioning off Johno....appreciated.
On looking at the charts I can see why this may be a good wee mark :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the new (to me ) 20 footer out today and travelled up as far as Gourdon.

All I caught was the SUN....big time but then...I was not fishing, only carrying out sea trials with new boat and new engine.....LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out Tuesday and caught a wee bittie.

About ½ mile out ½ mile south of Johnshaven and drifted back towards the jaggie bits as I fished the incoming tide.
Couple of 2 lb + coddlings and a Pollock ??
Trolled a a rod down to just off St Cyrus beach and caught 4 mackrel around Tanglehá.

Some flatties off St Cyrus on very light line for a wee bit fun.
Fun day....well sun burnt....and enjoyable !

Set a Crail down,as I left Johno, and on the way back had a fine Lobster too.

Tight lines are better than tight nerves !

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like a very pleasant day all round - plenty of variety. I saw the Montrose charter boats out during the week too - don't know how they did though.

What type / colour is your boat and then I can keep an eye out as I look out the window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts