World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

a mate has asked me to find out if anybody can tell him what he is likely to catch from a boat around port patrick in september as he is planning a trip up there.also what is the best type of tackle to take, rigs, wieghts, class of rods as he will be travelling about 7 hours each way he wants to take the right gear.
also is there any lugworm/ ragworm beds he can dig some fresh bait on.
thanks pikeman

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
What boat is he booked on ????

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
expect a wide variety. depends on how the skipper sees it at the time.

i could put you onto loads of different areas and species but he may see it differently. best to call him a couple of weeks before and ask whats being caught. the tide at portpatrick is VERY important as its nigh impossible on a big tide to fish properly.

species to look for are Very big tope but these are few and far between. Huss + spurs are quite common at that time of the year.
smaller stuff. loads of small haddock(1-2lbs), a barage of tiny whiting, codling to 4lbs, pollack to approx same size. some good flats (dab+plaice) up to a couple of pounds.

i was out a couple of weeks ago and took 8 huss + approx 40 codling & haddock as well as a few other species.

AAARRRGGGHHH................. LOADS & LOADS of pesky doggies.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dale.

what is the shore fishing like around that area as one of the lads who might be going is a shore angler/pikeman(not me)::yucky:but wont go out on a boat.
also they are asking can they dig any rag/lug nearby.
pikeman

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
worm can be dug on the foreshore at Stranraer. there is a byelaw re the amount and an angler is only allowed to dig enough for himself for a day.

the shore fishing is usually very good around port. the south side is predominately pollack and wrasse fishing close in but other species can be caught casting out. the north is more about clean ground and flats,lsd and small codling,haddock etc etc.

best to post just before you come and get more up to date info.

watch the weather. the rocks are not good if windy. mind you neither is the boat.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Dale
If you don`t mind me asking , where is the best spot to launch a boat to fish that area ? I had a look at Portpatrick years ago and didn`t like the look of the launching in the harbour , might be ok for a 4x4 though. Is the whole area really unfishable on big tides?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
there are plenty of possibles for getting in. the slip in the harbour is passable but only for a 4x4 and a bit of experience.
run up from port logan about 8 miles. car launch sheltered area
run down from Daly bay 4x4 launch about 7miles more exposed
or finally from Kirkcolm. car launch but a huge run.

the tide screams in that area so your restricted to the area inshore in the bigger tides. i would just give it a miss in a big tide, too much like hard work.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dale.

thanks for the info will pass it on and get more details nearer the time they are coming up,
pikeman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts