World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just refurbished a boat which I have decided to try and use as a sea fishing boat. BUT I have no boat fishing knowledge having only fished from the beach. The main problem I am faced with is where to fish, I am from Lowestoft so that is where the boat will be launched, but do you fish a couple of hundred yards out or a couple of miles. I know this obviously varies from place to place, time of year etc. But any information or tips on your experiences would be appreciated or if you can refer me to where I might find such information. I am also interested in what techniques are best, bait, rigs etc. I know this is quite a wide subject but any tit-bits of info would be muchly appreciated. Cheers.

F

·
0 Posts
I am sure there are a few peeps on here who an help but, could you give some more details about your boat? Is it up to going out to sea? There is a big difference between river boats and sea boats IMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Ernest,
I recon your looking in the right place, Keep an open
mind and respect the sea like a crown court judge ! :eek:
Regards,
Mo...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would suggest u join a club and gain some first hand experiance b4 setting off on your own,we all know how quick the sea can change when beach fishing but at least u can walk off a beach!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boat is actually a speed boat which I understand is not the best thing for fishing from. But it is an old Fletcher 16 foot and the hull is quite flat. I have fitted an ex RNLI Evinrude 60HP 2 stroke twin which is probably from the late 80's. Does this sound like a sea going vessel??? I work for a marine safety company and am actually a liferaft service tech so the safety equipment available to me is vast and readily available, however I have no experience of the sea and the more I research the more dangerous it sounds. For my first trip I intend to take a VHF radio, anchor, toolkit, first aid kit, epirb, flares, rockets, lifesmokes, toolkit, lifejackets, mobilephone and a couple of mates. Am I missing anything? Am I foolish going out to sea without any experience??? Still would like some tips on the fishing too please!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
leave the 2 mates take 1 of them with youthe boat is made for the sea but not for fishing but you can fish of them and with all the gear that is going with you will there be any room left but i am glad you are taking it so seriously but remember once you have a boat you will never have no more money

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the boat out for the first time Tuesday. The best laugh I have had in a while. Think it may have been a bit rough though, got absolutely soaked. Definately too rough for trying any fishing. Still want some tips by the way! ALSO ANY INFO ON WINDSCREENS. NEED ONE BADLY. Is it best to make a frame, if so where can I get the parts. If not is it easy to shape perspex, looks tricky!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I trailed my boat own to Littlehampton once, it was the time Ted Heath's boat sank at Selsey. If I remember right it was pretty shallow and flat sandy bottom, I only caught flatfish, but only got out the once due to the weather.

Get hold of some 6mm Polycarbonate. The clear stuff is used by glazing companies and if you have one near you you may get an offcut for a coule of pints. Use a big sheet of cardboard to get the shape right and use this as a template to mark out the poly. It is a lot easier to get and cheaper to make a mistake on than your screen material.

Use a jigsaw with a fine blade on a very slow speed to cut the poly and a brad point drill again on slow speed to drill it. Use sikaflex and bolts to hold it in place on the cabin top. Mask off the line you want the sikaflex to extend to and then squirt a good bead on. Bolt in place using A4 stainless nuts and bolts but do not tighen them fully. Leave the sikaflex to cure then do a final tighten, saves squidging all the silicon out. Peel off the masking and you should be left with a neat line of sealant and a firmly fixed virtually unbreakable screen that does not suffer from the UV cvrazing that acrylic will over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the info but I still don't fully understand how to do it. I currently have absolutley no windscreen, framework, fixing points or anything. I need to start from scratch. I would assume if I was using just perspex I would need to bend it at the sides (how do I do I bend it accurately?) and fix it to the dash area with some sort of bracket. If not I would need to make make an alluminium frame and fit the perspex in. But where would I get the required parts???????? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Ernest, as ChrisP has said you could probably get one from the manufacturers for a price, I would suggest that you mount a curved line of drilled, aluminium / brass / stainless "L" shaped brackets on the top of your cockpit, then starting in the middle, drill through the polycarbonate, & attach to the "L" brackets with stainless or brass bolts & nuts, working your way outwards.
I got my Polycarbonate off e-bay, I typed in Polycarbonate & up it came, I got mine from www.peninsulaplastics.co.uk they didn't exactly give it away, but it aint alf strong!
Good luck with your project
blueskip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts