World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Planning on going boat fly fishing on Loch Leven with some pals. This will be a new experience as I have only every bank fished with my fly rod. Understandably, I know I will most likely need to get a new rod as my current setup is a 9ft 5w.

What I am looking for is advice on what rod would be suitable and if there is anything else I need that I may not know about.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,594 Posts
Hi there,

Planning on going boat fly fishing on Loch Leven with some pals. This will be a new experience as I have only every bank fished with my fly rod. Understandably, I know I will most likely need to get a new rod as my current setup is a 9ft 5w.

What I am looking for is advice on what rod would be suitable and if there is anything else I need that I may not know about.

Thanks in advance.
To be honest your current rod will do you fine........you'll only be casting 20 odd yards or so.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, my pal that is going has a drogue. I am using a floating line but I do have a sinking line that I can switch too if needs be.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have nevef fished leven so there are the flies that do well that you need to consider.

When boat fishing a range of lines can be helpful but if you are not going to boat fish often a floater and a sknker will give you options for the day.

For my boat fishing I use 7wt with lines from floater to DI7. I do also use a 10ft 5wt but only with a floater, midge tip or slow intermediate and smaller flies or mini lures, basically the lighter end of fishing from a boat.
The advantage of the extra foog is really just for line control and controlling fishing close to the boat, makes it a wee bit easier.
If you want to treat yourself why not go for a 10ft 5wt, matches your lines and will do from the bank too?
Shakespeare agilty fo £50 ish quid?
Do remember something comfy to sit on too, if the fishing is slow sitting on a wooden thwart means a numb ass pdq.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts