World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can hire boats at Loch Fyne? I have asked a few people but nobody seams to know.

Also, can you still hire boats at Loch Etive? I was told that the guy who hired the boats sold the business a couple of months ago.

Any info appreciated

Al

·
Registered
347 Posts
Taynuilt boat hire Ian Campbell - 01866 822 121.

Particularly for sea fishing. £45 per day per 16 foot boat, incl fuel, or £7 per hour, excl fuel

Try here for Etive

Taken from dive site:

For air and boat hire use the Argyll Caravan Park Dive Centre three miles south of Inveraray on the A83. The centre is run by Willie McCallum (0374 823001) and although closed in winter you can still launch your own boat from here.

Try here for Loch Fyne

Or here for further up the coast

http://www.west-scotland-marine.com/BoatHire.html

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Loch Fyne Boat Hire @ Furnace

5 Queen Elizabeth Cottages
Furnace
By Inveraray

They have got 3-4 sm boats that hold 5 anglers he has a bigger boat that can take 10 , we have used him alot he can supply some bait and has a good knowledge of area Contact Mr Sinclair (01499) 500229 .

Not used them so far this year but think number should be the same ;)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Bmac, we've used the same guy. Been out on the big boat once and he put us on the Haddock :) . The good thing about the small boats is the choice, if you want to target Pollock you head for the quarry, or fish tight to the rocky parts of the shoreline. You want Dabs, head to the opposite side of the loch and fish about 100-150 yards off the shingle beaches there, although you'll get Dabs pretty much anywhere with clean ground.
Sory to go off topic for a wee bit, but does anyone know if Plaice are targetable from the boat in Loch Fyne?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ive caught Plaice from the shore between Invereray & Furnace ( 1st Quarry ) on rag biggest about 1.8 lb but not tried it for a couple of years !. Around this area is my usual stomping ground aint heard of any caught from the boats though :( Ive heard the haddock have went AWOL since they emptied the salmon nets but still good sport for pollock on Hokkai,Muppets Leadheads and Rag i was told a Tope was caught up there last summer :confused: never heard of that up there b4 , Has anyone else??? That is my goal this season to catch one :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah the Haddock have dissapeared almost, still some wee ones kicking about supposedly though. The Quarry, now thats a mark! i've had and seen plenty of Dabs getting caught, so surely theres some Plaice about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who responded. I will arrange a trip to both Lochs in the next few weeks.

Our club fished all day at the bistro, just south of Furnace village last Sunday. All we caught was 10 mackerel and a dogfish. With any luck our next trip will be a bit better.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
347 Posts
The catches at the Bistro and the rest of that stretch have died over the last couple of years. Seemed to coincide with the resurgence of the Haddock 2 years back and the subsequent trawling that went on after word got out that they were around. Our club bags dropped from double figure catches of dogs to outings being won with 3 or 4 dogs and a lack of small fish that used to be a pest.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The quarry area was fishing well fro me a wee while back, plenty of pout, dab, pollock and wrasse. It seems to be the only area relatively untouched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they still trawling the Loch? I have not seen any trawlers this year although I've only been three times.

We had great days at the bistro in 2001/02 with plenty mackerel and collies but the last couple of years it has gone down hill. We tried Tarbert last year and did not catch a single fish, i've never seen it that bad before.

As mackerel are our target species can anyone suggest anywhere better than Loch Fyne on the Scottish west coast?

Thanks a lot

Alan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mackinroys Point if you can get a space or Gamble Steps both in Gourock or the caves near Arrochar or if you fancy a wee ferry trip the point at Millport.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Plenty of Mackerel getting caught at the custom house in Greenock, all along the full stretch of Quay, they seem to dissapear at high water then come back when the tide starts going back out again, there is plenty of room here not like Mcinroys, its a joke down there, with guys there from 6am till dusk, talk about kicking the **** out of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is a good charter boat that sails from Ardrishaig -'Keltic Lady' fishes up to 10 anglers. Plenty of Haddock, whiting, codling, pollack, mackerel and doggies. It's a very clean and well organised boat.

Fished the quarry two weeks ago and there were plenty of mackerel around. Other species were fairly sparse - doggies, undersize codling and poor cod - one conger landed 7lb quite a few were lost in the bolders.

·
Registered
62 Posts
flattiefanatic said:
Yeah the Haddock have dissapeared almost, still some wee ones kicking about supposedly though. The Quarry, now thats a mark! i've had and seen plenty of Dabs getting caught, so surely theres some Plaice about.
can you pls tell me how to get to this quarry at inverary

·
Registered
347 Posts
You drive past Inverarry until you come to a small village called Furnace. Turn off and follow the road down through the village you cant miss the quarry. Park at the top and walk down fish anywhere but some bits are snaggier than others.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Over the past few years i think the 1st quarry has fished alot better than the bistro, i find spinning with eddystone or leadhead always does ok or float fishing always puts u about fish ( Pollock , Wrasse or Doggies ) You can catch fish all day from the pier (all be it small ! ) i got a 2lb edible Crab a month ago of the pier during the day when fishing with mackerel for Conger and my mate lost one i dont think the trawlers can get in as close there as they can @ the Bistro

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alba

The East and West Lochs at Tarbert were alive with Macks this week - they were filling boxes unfortunately on the East Loch Pier (presumably selling it to the local creel boats)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts