World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A friend and I have decieded that we are going to get ourselves a small fishing boat that is trailerable. There appears to be plenty knocking around the £2-3K mark. We have looked into mooring costs etc and all looks ok, but the one area that remains a bit of a mystery is boat insurance.

Do you have to have insurance? If so what sort of costs etc can we expect to pay for this and does anyone know of any cheap deals out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would recommend Navigators and General. They are very good, very flexible if your boat/circumstances change - they also turned the application around very quickly

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You don't have to have insurance but it is wise to. I got mine on the net with Craftinsure. On line quote and they take the premium off your card monthly. Cheapest I found by a long way and they got a good write up in PBO for settling claims. One bonus is if you need a copy of your insurance they give you a password which gives you a printout of your policy from anywhere in the world if you can get internet access.

http://www.craftinsure.com/index.html

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Some moorings and harbours insist on insurance, others don't. The boat itself may hardly be worth insuring but think of the third party liability if, Heaven forbid, you accidently hit a diver with a prop, or bashed another more expensive boat if you lost control or sank somewhere where it would have to be recovered to prevent an obstruction like in an approach channel. That could be very expensive if you don't have both Third Party Liability insurance and legal cover. Well worth it for peace of mind. Shop around though, prices vary. I use Haven Knox-Johnson at Lloyds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Wobble,
Try these for a Quote www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk. I have had my insurance with them for a number of years and allways are very good on prices. If you can find cover the same, but cheaper they will try to match it.
I personaly would'nt even think about owning a boat without having insurance, but as Chris says it's not madatory in Britain as yet.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
328 Posts
Been in the insurance game for 25 years so would not take a chance on hitting someone and ending up with a £1,000,000 damages award against me. That could seriously damage your life.
Don't forget the most likely time you will injure someone is probably launching down a slipway crowded with swimmers(i've seen it happen when a trailer comes away and runs down the slip.)
That said i find it impossible to get good deals on car / house or boat insurance without shopping around every year. The internet is a godsend for this task.
As regards boat cover i also found Craft insure to be the best for price.(this year)There are not many Insurance companies but there are lots of brokers who sell the cover. If its backed by Lloyds or Zurich or Norwich Union you should be ok.
Check the policy wording which you can download before you buy - it may well have caveats which if you do not comply will invalidate the cover.
A favorite one is an outboard engine lock . I have a 115 HP Johnson and noone is going to lift it off the boat so i had to ensure this was excluded. I also need a trailer wheel clamp while it is ashore - a hitch lock is not enough for the insurers.
I am also restricted on when i can use it as between October and March it is laid up but if i want to use it in the Winter i need to tell them.

When you think a boat can go at 30 mph but has no brakes and people think insurance is not neccessary yet would they drive around uninsured in the car? (i hope the answer is no).

Freddy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies, they are most useful.

We will definately be getting insurance even though it isn't a legal requirement, I don't fancy getting hit with a bill if I damage another boat / pier / person etc.

Could anyone tell me, is the boat insurance based on a number of "named drivers" or do you insure the boat for any person to skipper?

·
Registered
701 Posts
wobble said:
Thanks for all of the replies, they are most useful.

We will definately be getting insurance even though it isn't a legal requirement, I don't fancy getting hit with a bill if I damage another boat / pier / person etc.

Could anyone tell me, is the boat insurance based on a number of "named drivers" or do you insure the boat for any person to skipper?
My Insurance is on the boat ( Porthcawl ) I am listed as owner and skipper, but it is the boat that is insured not the driver. Shouldn't cost more than £150 a year fully comp.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Probably only a person with your permission is covered for third party risks.So strictly speaking it is the policy holder who is insured for third party and the boat is insured for physical loss as the boat cannot be sued.

Freddy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Freddy,

Try The Basic Boat Liability Company. Brilliant outfit, very helpful, very good premium for third party cover including £3M public liability, (mine's only double figures for a 22ft boat). 08707 870030. Incidentally you have to show your insurance certificate to the harbourmaster every year here when you pay your mooring fees - no insurance certificate and your boat's out of the harbour within the hour. Even visitors who launch from the slip must be insured and I think this applies to lots of harbours these days, so you may want to check with yours.

Cheers, and good luck with your new boat - it's a great hobby.

·
Registered
328 Posts
PeterB - it was Wobble that posted the thread not me. Been enjoying my boat for a long time.

To follow up on the issue of Insured persons i have checked policy and it covers the owner/skipper or any other person with their permission ;
however if your boat can exceed 17 knots the Speedboat clause will apply which states the "other person" must be "competent and in control..."

Worth knowing before the claim happens.

Freddy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ooops - that was careless of me - I should have addressed the post to wobble.

My insurance is the same in that it covers anyone who has my permission to take my boat to sea and covers quote Any one craft up to 60ft owned by you, up to 17 knots and used on UK inland or coastal water up to 12 nautical miles from the coast unquote.

I have 3rd party cover only, so it doesn't cover any of my belongings on the boat, but interestingly, and puzzlingly perhaps, it DOES include quote damage to property of passengers not being resident family up to £500 per person unquote. I enquired whether this applied to to the property of any person who was in charge of the boat with my permission - it does not - but the property of any passengers he carries is covered. So in theory, I could say to my mate, OK take my boat out and I'll come as your passenger, and my property would be covered!!! All a bit odd, but I'm not complaining - it's a darn good buy for £75 a year!!

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Just had my renewal through - Haven quote £417 including NCB and discount. :eek: The Craftinsure quote is only £180. Are there any catches? I can't see Legal cover for example.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You have Third Party only so as you and your designated skipper is an insured party you cannot have cover for you only for claims made against you. Your passengers are Third Parties and have limited cover offered.I guess this saves time and money claiming against you for loss and or damage. However a claim for personal injury of £1,000,000 would have to go through the courts i would imagine.
If you hand over to a pal you are still an insured as you are paying the premium so no cover for your property.

As regards Legal cover per Salars message i would check the wording as it provides legal expense cover which is what i think you mean. Normally legal expense cover is given so you can cover the cost of claiming back your deductible when someone else was at fault. The wording might state that you should not incur legal expense costs without the companys permission - which suggests they may pay. In the case of a total loss you would not incur a deductible anyway.
Ask them specifically before you buy.

Freddy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for your advice, though I'm afraid I don't understand your first sentence - probably my fault. As for my passengers, it's only their property which is covered up to £500 per passenger. My third party insurance includes Public Liability cover for personal injury to my passengers up to a total £3,000,000, which is why I call it a very good buy.

Cheers..........

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep i was only actually talking about "property" as that was what you were referring to. You could not claim for your property as you are the insured but your passengers are third parties. They get limited property cover for belongings but would not get unlimited liability for property on the boat - understandably however they could claim millions against you for bodily injury and your policy would pay a maximum of £ 3 million (if you were legally liable). Public liability is in effect third party liability but would cover you for example if you ran into someone on the slipway and injured them.Again maximum you would get is £ 3 million.

Bloody confusing!

Freddy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks again for that freddy. Yes, insurance of any kind is confusing, travel, car, house, personal etc. and boat insurance is no different. It certainly pays to shop around because I found the differences in premiums for the cover I wanted astonishing. One company I went to for a quote wanted my 30 year old wooden boat surveyed by their own surveyor which they wanted me to pay way over the odds for, even for 3rd party cover. Ridiculous since I wasn't asking them to pay out on damage to my boat!!

I asked them why they insisted on a survey for 3rd party cover. "It's our policy for wooden boats" they said. "Why", I said, "my boat is clad with one inch thick pine planks on an oak frame and is a solid today as the day it was built and what's more", I said, "it'll still be as solid in another 30 years unlike all the Tupperware boats you're insuring without surveys". They couldn't give me a good reason for wanting to survey wooden boats for 3rd party cover. All they kept saying was "It's just our policy for wooden boats".

I gave up on them and all the others and eventually found The Basic Boat Liability Company who have been just brilliant for the last three years I've been with them, and with unbeatable premuims too.

Anyway, cheers, and tight lines.........

·
Registered
328 Posts
Trust me, if your boat does not fit in the box then it is a "special".

Wood rots but fibreglass does not.
We all know that wood will last forever given proper care and treatment but fibreglass will absorb water over time and deteriorate with UV and i doubt will last over 20 - 30 years without deteriorating.
Insurance is a % game and no one wants to take more risk than they have to. It is easier to say no than work out the risk odds and charge a premium.

Most car insurers will not provide third party only anymore it is not worth their while.The risk is comparatively low but so is the premium. They want fully comp or nothing.

Freddy

G

·
Just a point,

Evry insurer I have contacted aksed if the boat was over 20 years old, regardless of construction material it must have a survey report. luckily my boat was only 17 this year.

I believe it is a new rule they are starting to insist on in the last few years.

And the "above 17 knots" rule always applies and can make some difference to the price.

My last boat was a 23 footer with a petrol inboard, 25 years old and cost me £50 fully comp with 3 million pub liability the new one this year at 18 foot, 35 knots and 60hp is £275 3rd party!

Speed costs - but as I say, theres no substitute for fishing from your own boat, regadless of cost or headache.

Poppajoe (steve)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This forum has just saved me a fortune. The link to craftinsure was great. The quote has come in at half the price from anywhere else. Still waiting for the Saga one :-(
Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts