World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ppl got a question here before I keep my car and put a tow bar on a bmw 330d
Question is what are rear wheeled cars like for pulling a boat out the water on a trailer on a steepish wet slip way
Will it just wheel spin like their known for for or grip in and pull it out with no problems
Don't want to spend money on tow bars if their not good enough

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your trailer has some weight onto the towball it will help with grip. Depends how its balanced. As for if you have enough grip that all depends on size boat and trailer, how steep is the slipway etc, etc. If you tell us which slipways you tend to use you might get some people who have first hand experience of using them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's in barrow in Furness
It's a wet cobbled slipway is a bit steep
And it's pulling a shtlend 535 on a single axel trailer and the boat is perfectly ballanced on the trailer if this helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I were you I would go and watch other boats being recovered before making a decision, launching would probably not be a problem as gravity works with you, recovery however could be a different story. When or if you do try make sure you recover on an ebb so you have time to get help if have problems.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
35 years ago, I used to have a Mk IV Cortina estate which trailed my boat, and I used snow chains quite regularly on slipways......

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You could always consider leaving the vehicle higher up the slipway on a dry solid surface and using a rope to drag the boat and trailer up to a spot where it wont be such a problem.

I have the same car and there is a lot of torque to the back wheels. I think I would adopt the rope method.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Don't forget to drain your boat, the water runs to the back on a slope and takes weight of your back wheels.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am with the rope method but make Shure it will carry the snatch load !!! its not weight of boat & trailer on wheels its the incline as well, I used to snatch my boat of a sandy beach with an 1100 old days guys, method was rope on trailer, drive by drop loop on hitch ball with good length slack and drive away, it works,, yes I did get stuck needed tractor to pull car out of sand with the stop hitch method , alternative is a power winch, get one big enough !!!! or and a 4 X 4

·
Registered
393 Posts
I launch and recover a 5m RIB from a Merc E280 which is automatic and just rear-wheel drive. Works OK on Littlehampton slip at low tide (which is rear wheels onto sand and main concrete slope is steepish) and on various other slipways including Dover. I have also used a rope (when lower part of slipway is wet) to keep the car wheels on dry concrete and tow the trailer + boat up to a drier area and then mount onto towball.
Never really had any problem. Wouldn't try doing this on a slippery/greasy/weed-covered slipway - even a 4x4 could have traction problems!
Arthur

·
Registered
781 Posts
In a word - No

Speaking from experience - a normal rear wheel drive car just wont cut it. May be in perfect dry conditions but add a bit of weed and some wetness and bit of gradient your stuffed. Not enough weight in a 330D to get the required grip. You need a 4 wheel drive my friend!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Wet cobblestone slipway, rear wheel drive car, deffo a combination for disaster!

If you are considering roping off make sure you have a pretty rugged jockey wheel fitted, I managed to smash mine to bits roping off at the Portland sailing club slipway. It is concrete all the way back you can see but beyond that small square blocks. The cobblestones will give the jockey wheel some grief, maybe look for a high load inflatable wheel type?

Sorry if that all sounds negative but you did ask :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts