World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a bit of advice. Im going wrecking for cod in the North Sea at the start of september and am going to buy a new multiplier to match my Penn 30/50lb boat rod. Im currently torn between the Shimano TLD 20 and the Okuma Titus TL20 in the £70-100 bracket, with a preference for a level wind. Any advice would be much appreciated.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the Titus 15l that is loaded with braid and works well enough for my liking.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Fitzy,

In my opinion the Shimano TLD20 is a fantastic reel but!!! it is a heavy reel. In a direct answer to your question, it is a good match for your 2050 rod but!!!

I have one myself and only use it when I target Conger.

The Shimano Charter Special with its levelwind would, in my opinion, be more suitable for what you want. When charter fishing, and winding in a large fish, having a levelwind is a bonus.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a TLD25 that I use for pirking on the east coast. I'm happy with it and your probably right the TLD20 would be up to the job but I like the extra retrieve speed when fishing deep water.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i own both a tld20 and a charter special 2000 and i agree with drew.
i only use my tld20 for heavy conger work or deep water/2lb of lead.
the charter special is a great reel and fine for ling ,pollock and medium sized conger.

F

·
0 Posts
I have two reels that i fish boating comps with and find they are fantastic for the price of them.

The first one is a Shakespeare Navigator 2923 401 (Level wind) and the second is a Shakespeare Ugly Boat 2916 401 (Level wind).

I am normally a Penn man myself but i have found these reels to be excellent for fishng off the Scottish coastline and can recommend them to anyone. The Navigator is especially good with braid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts