World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year,

Looking to buy a new multiplier reel for boat fishing.
Would like to hear what you suggest, it will be for general boat fishing and possibly a bit of uptiding.
Is Levelwind worth having ?

Rgds
Rohan

I fish over the otherside of the channel out of Fecamp

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate, I would say a level wind is a must. and I have the penn 310gt2 & penn 320gti and have no trouble with them at all and considering I spend most of my fishing time wrecking and drifting they get quite a hammering and they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Have a look at the shimano charter specials, bombproof

Penn 975ld is a good one, silky smooth drag but prone to corrosion due to anodised finish

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lads,

Once again the old question!!!

Abu 7000 or 75000C3 without question. Can be used for Uptiding - Downtiding and even Beachcasting.

Levelwind is a must when boat fishing. While the Shimano reels are excellent value for money the Abu range takes the biscuit every time. This has been proven throughout the years. Easiest of all reels to clean and maintain.

If anyone disagrees then please let me know of a reel easier than the Abu to strip and clean.

Next to the Abu range is the Shimano and then Daiwa. Keep away from the other C**P on the market it is not worth bothering about, a complete waste of money.

Cheers

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Yep, whole heartedly agree with Drew i've been using the Abu Big Game 7000 for lighter work and the trusty Shimano 2000Ld with 20-30lb class kit, all very reliable, both priced at the top end of the market, but you do have to pay for quality.

Level wind a must, lever drag a great advantage.

B

·
0 Posts
I use a 7500C3 and have to agree that it is a top quality piece of kit.

As for other makes, the one thing I can say for certain is do not,repeat DO NOT waste your money buying anything made by Shakespeare!!!
Whilst they DO make some great RODS - their REELS are absolute CRAP!!!!

I made the mistake of buying an Ugly 301 boat reel and inspite of washing it in clean fresh water after each trip,I found signs of serious corrosion on all internal parts after only one years usage!

So be warned SHAKESPEARE REELS ARE CRAP CRAP CRAP !!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts