World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on the Rose-Ann with Mike Baker yesterday. Fishing between 16-18 miles along the coast on wrecks. 8 fished in total with a "Mix of experience". Baits consisted of live sandeels, and later, squid and scollop frills on baited feathers.

Things started slowly with a few small pollock and pout. Better around 11.0 to Noon. Slack tide was around 13.00 where we were fishing. Finishing up with 2.5 Knots of tide at 14.30 which made drifting a bit too quick.

The days bag consisted of pollock and smallish whiting (And pout). The more experienced catching the most fish. The rest making substantial contributions to the wrecks with their leads and tackle. Not a great haul. None of the fish had any roe in them.

Mike mentioned the "May water" with reference to the sudden algae blooms at this time of year. It colours the water and makes catches more difficult, I was told.

G

·
We had the May Bloom quite bad off Newhaven on Sunday, and it certainly affected the fishing. Hopefully it will not hang about long and when it clears the fishing should be at its best.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like you got unlucky and got a holiday makers day out. Did he go south? or up the coast if you know what I mean. How far off land. I could got 20 miles but only go 6 miles off shore. Suprize no bream? Catching them further east!

G

·
It does sound a bit like you had a grockles trip.

The May water tends to clear the further out you go.
Trouble is you may have to be mid channel for it to be clear and it doesn't sound like you were anywhere near it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. In fairness to Mike. The main party (I was only there to make up for short numbers) did not want to go out too early. So that meant we had to fish the wrecks closer in. He did say the better fishing was mid-channel.

We were fishing at depths of around 120-140 feet. Far too deep for Bream from what I recall.

We were about 6 miles off shore.

As for the "Grockle" bit. Born in London. Live in Swindon. Yep, Grockle probably fits.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offence taken Tom. I only took home 4 pollock. Put back the whiting and small fish. I only take what I can use. So I was quite happy.

Mike came out of the cabin with a rod. Baited it. Caught a fish on the first drop. Put it in their box, and went back muttering a few words we all know. But many choose not to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts