World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fish oxwich for the first hour to get a few triggers, although I’ve had quite a few on the boat I had never caught one myself, so was quite pleased to get this little fella on my second drop.

The fishing was unusually slow, so as the crowds gathered to launch at oxwich we decided to head offshore in search of our original quarry, bass.
We struggled for mackerel but managed to get some launce but after a few hours, many miles and a couple of wrecks/banks all we had to show were a few Pollack ,pout ,scad and loads of tub/grey gurnard.(but no bass.

Spent the last couple of hours on the outer bream mark where we did at least get amongst them along with some more gurnard, dogs and small huss.
A tough day really, considering the miles put in but did end up with 13 species, my first trigger and got to see some dolphins.
Paul
P.S. not the best pic ever but can anyone identify the little fella in the last pic?? thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
cracking report mate, where you them dolphins? or did you put in THAT many miles!!! lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd say its probably a blenny of some sort.

If your interested this book is very good
A Field Guide to Marine Fishes of Wales and Adjacent Waters By Paul Kay & Frances Dipper

·
Registered
367 Posts
Good effort on the 13 species and the little fella looks like a black gobie
Great report

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
A Mud Skipper although it cant be, ugly little bugger though, you certainly put the time & miles in then, & it seems that it wasn't only us who couldn't find any mackerel, Headlight had the same problem, & he does more miles than The Waverley :roll1:
Its still early maybe we will still have a summer & after a settled spell lasting about 3 weeks, I MIGHT venture out to the 3 mile bank, (but I wouldn't put money on it) ask Paid4:unsure:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well done Paul, Was their any size to the bream on the outer, Hope to get down there on Saturday. Ive never had a trigger on my boat other people have but not me have one Saturday weather permitting. Is their any chance of a run out later in the year for the blond rays.

·
Registered
545 Posts
hi paul,never had a trigger aboard toadfish must give that a go before the end of the season,the bass you were after mate,have been intensly trawled from that area in the last month or 2 , we were on a small bank down the south , from outside the helwick,with 2 other boats dungraftin and and arvour 230 who made the journey down from carrdiff,some 50 miles or more as we had a good hit of fish the day before.sadly within 20 mins of day 2 a massive orange trawler turned up and bullied its way right through the middle of us after screaming my lungs out at this greedy dangerous clown,the three of us stood firm in the middle of the bank,then from nowhere a rod and line comercial turned up and started shouting abuse at him on the vhf and he then dissapeared,sorry i dont have any photos of the incident but i have one of this poor chap a porpoise which did not survive the trawlathon. sad days ahead for this great sport.

i am not against comercial fishing its a hard job,but do they have to keep hammering such small locations within small boat range.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one Paul looks like a black gobie what did the dorsal fin look like?
cheers will , the dorsal fin had quite an orange tinge to it

Well done Paul, Was their any size to the bream on the outer, Hope to get down there on Saturday. Ive never had a trigger on my boat other people have but not me have one Saturday weather permitting. Is their any chance of a run out later in the year for the blond rays.
thanks col, bream were mainly small but did get a few keepers.
hopeing to fish aberthaw for the blondes this comeing weekend, your welcome anytime

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Paul what day you thinking of of going.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts