1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
21,667 Posts
So just starting out with boat fishing around Essex coast - know my way around beach rods - bit lost with boat rods. Want to have 2-3 rods on the boat but not break the bank. Trying to avoid broomsticks and captain floppy rod 😂

GAC has a sale on, any hidden gems in the lower end of this lot? Boat Rods – Glasgow Angling Centre

Edit: Combo’s here - maybe a fish eagle 😬
;)Always nice to get "the feel of a rod before using it. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you need an uptide or normal boat rod?
I may have a sonik sk3 boat rod (20-30lb) for sale, been used abit so not perfect condition by any means but would definitely be cheap. Caught plenty of rays and smoothies out of West mersea with it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
another vote for Ugly Stiks, cheap as chips, think I got the full suite of rods, ranging from 8lb-12lb, right through to 50lb class, my goto class is the 20lb-30lb class for fishing the Bristol channel. had congers to 30lb, blondes to 20lb, Tope to 28lb, all without any issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies - I’ll be taking my bro and his two kids out so they won’t really know one end from another - I really hope they do as that’s one less aspect to the tutorial!

Quite agree nothing like - absolutely nothing - to beat testing a rod in person, I bet tackle shops get tired of (me) people ringing up to ask them to explain the action over the phone. This is all getting a bit carry on matron..

Ugly Stik is high on my list but I’m told the older American ones are the ones to have which are not made any more - ?

I might try Decathlon they do a 6’ & 7’ boat rod, for a ridiculous low price

Think I am probably being a bit tight, not wanting to shell out 100 odd quid for each road and reel combo

Reckon 12-20lb should do it for thornies off the Essex coast? Or better go 20-30 ~ the answer is both 😂

·
Registered
490 Posts
Think I am probably being a bit tight, not wanting to shell out 100 odd quid for each road and reel combo...
Ugly Stik GX2 12-20 + Penn Warfare multi = £100ish
If you want super cheap, I myself bought a Shakespeare Omni Boat rod 7ft 12-20lb for £19.99 and... the rod is fantastic - 2 years now and its still like new. Probably wouldn't last long if you'd be out everyday but for me (15-20 sessions a year) is perfect. I have an Ugly Stik 12-20 as well - it feels better than Omni (better ballanced) but what is funny, I caught most of my fish using the Omni haha, not the Stik 🤣

Reactions: Mike Farrants

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dude buy cheap cheap buy twice ! listen to advice your being given we have years and years of experience between the lot of us
Don’t get me wrong I started on telescopics 😂 caught a few plaice on them but went through the gears to zippies, which I now don’t use! Ok ok I’ll keep looking and up the budget - going to have to charge rental on the rods !

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you are after cheap then the shakespeare omni rod is very good for the money - i have the 20-30 rod and reel - the reel feels very cheap but the rod feels good -

"buy cheap buy twice" certainly applies to reels, but not so to rods - there's not much can go wrong with the rod - id say cheap rod, and mid range reel will be better.

when I started off with my own boat I bought second hand gear to get me started, was picking up diawa/ryobi/ron thompson rod and reels for £25 - then upgraded from there.

·
Registered
12,375 Posts
I'm not sure if you are looking for a reel as well, but don't fall into the trap of buying a cheap one just because it is cheap, even brand new many will only last year or two at most, if you can afford it look at a Lever Drag reel as these will cope with anything and are particularly good for running fish such as Smuts, Tope, Bass, Pollock and Coalfish, I have six rods on my boat and everyone has a Shimano TL-2000 Charter Special on them and they have been ultra reliable and are a joy to use.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I do hate ugly sticks. I gave mine away.

I did to look at decathlon rods when i went in for a hat last 2 yrs ago. Some to have a lovely action. All to be different but it does to depend what type of rod you to like. I to obviously be in the oddball category with rods as i to be the only one on this thread that to never buy an ugly stick again.
It you to be anything like me, and you to abuse your rods, just to find something good you to like. I to have all sorts, cheap fladens and ron thompsons for guests that i do to occasionally useand to have lasted well, and to actually use most a rod i did to get bought for my 8th birthday 31 years ago, and to a 20/30 class rod that did to be cheap, but made by a local who to sell them i to my local tackle shop.
I to also keep an eye out for boat jumbles, you can to not only find decent second hand rods but to go to the rod stalls and to play until you to find one that feels right.

Reel wise i to be a bit more picky, but "cheap" multiplier wise i to have okuma classics which to punch well above their price range and to have lasted very well, a charter special and a very very old (before i was to be born) mitchell captain 600 which to be a fantastic reel and can to be picked up used on fleabay for about £5 now. I also to prefer star drags to lever drags.

If you to want a spinning reel i to suggedt to look at something called tsunami guard. good price and to again punch high.

Also not to forget that Gc is to be part of "fishing megastore" so you probably to find the same deals across all their sites but with a bigger selection.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is great and I kind of agree - I had a look at the Ugly Stik and they are 7’9” is that a bit long for a boat rod? Sort of puts me off.

I'm not done yet with Decathlon - I'll have a look at the action / or not of their boat rods and would you know I have two sizes of the Okuma classic level wind. They are a real no frills but tough reel, what else do I need - it releases/brakes and winds in.

There are a few older used US's online - they are a lot shorter, like the BOAT classic is about 2.1m, it's only a small boat, some of the US's are getting on for 8' which is more like a spinning rod to me and might take someone's eye out :)

Have seen a couple of used Mitchell reels and while old fashioned looking they do have that look of something that would go on and on with a bit of maintenance - charter I went on out of Beer this year had reels 20 odd years old and still did the job.

The fish doesn't mind what you've got on the boat - good hooks & bait I prefer - one of my boat starter rods (Okuma Boat G Force 20-30lb) is a proper broomstick, unless I've snagged a doggie with it I won't know there's a knock so would be good to get something with a bit of feel, the balance between strong and sensitive.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I to think rods to be a personal thing and to be trial and error.
Maybe from the shore it to matter more but onto a boat it to be drop over the side and to wind in. As you to say the fish not to mind if it to be a fladen or a daiwa and anything will to get you catching fish.
I not to have ever done maintenance on my reels.... lazy maybe but they to still work fine. I to doubt my dad ever did to clean the mitchell either as i never did see him do it. So it to take over 40 years of punishment and to still reel tope in just fine.

I to think 7 ft a good size for a boat rod, and 9/10ft a good size to uptide with though i not to do much of that as arm issues to mean i not to cast well at all.

You can to always buy 2 different action cheapy rods, try both, then to save money to buy something that to be better quality and to side either to stick or soft to your preference.

Again, I to think this to change from shore fishing preferences on rods.

Just what i would to do. The cheaper rods can then to be passed to guests when you to fish in company and to be a winner all round. They not to know the difference. Those that do, already to have their own rods.

·
Registered
12,375 Posts
7' 9" is a good length for a boat rod and you will enjoy catching fish with it more than you will with a shorter rod, most of the Uptider's are 10ft and I have 2 10ft Penn Rampage Uptider's and a couple of 20/30lb Ugly Stik's and a couple of Penn Rampages.

The other advantage of a longer rod is that you have more blank to absorb the rocking of the boat so the lead isn't banging up and down all the time, I just don't like short boat roads, they don't feel right

1 - 20 of 29 Posts