World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm interested in getting a boat rod and have been looking at the John Wilson Tideline System Boat and the Conolon Pro Boat Traveller 15/30lb.

I've been looking for reviews on these rods to help me decide but cant find any so does anyone know if these rods are any good and if so which rod should i go for?

Thank you

Simon

C

·
0 Posts
I dont know what your budget is but I have just used my new Abu Suveran Pro combo for the first time and can not fault it. Use all 3 sections for a 9'6 uptider and remove the middle 2' section to give you a 7'6 gilling or downtide rod. Available for between £80 - £90 online.
I did not have anything big on it, the biggest was 5lb9oz Pollack but no problems at all with that. I also had some plaice on it and found it showed the tiniest bite.
The biggest test however was when I snagged the wreck and had to hold on or lose the rod, it almost bent double before the line parted!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Conolon have always had good name - but no idea about their travel rod.

Greys range of travel boat rods are well finished and look good.
I bought the heaviest rated rod - think it's 30 - 50. It feels right for medium, general boat work but is nowhere near a 'proper' 50lb class rod.
Take a look at a lighter version of the Greys, they come in 7ft and 8ft lengths.
Nothing shoddy about them. Under £70.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have just used my new Abu Suveran Pro combo for the first time and can not fault it. Use all 3 sections for a 9'6 uptider and remove the middle 2' section to give you a 7'6 gilling or downtide rod.
Cascars,
I notice that as an uptider the rod is rated at 4-6oz. I can't find anything on the rating as a downtider. Would you happen to know what the rating is?

C

·
0 Posts
Cascars,
I notice that as an uptider the rod is rated at 4-6oz. I can't find anything on the rating as a downtider. Would you happen to know what the rating is?
Nothing on the rod but I would guess about 16-20lb

A

·
0 Posts
Hey I'm interested in getting a boat rod and have been looking at the John Wilson Tideline System Boat and the Conolon Pro Boat Traveller 15/30lb.

I've been looking for reviews on these rods to help me decide but cant find any so does anyone know if these rods are any good and if so which rod should i go for?

Thank you

Simon
Folk on here may call me a cheapskate for this, but it catches fish, and is easy on the wallet:

7' 6" Mustad viking boat rod teamed up with a decent reel, the rod is easily sensitive to register a 1lb pouting, but has enough balls to haul a double figure Thornback towards a gaff, they're also castable enough to use as an "uptide" rod,

hth

Ubd

T

·
0 Posts
If you wanted to consider somethign very special and completely unique to you then look at Alba Rods range of gear.
Stan M (forum contributor) builds them from Conoflex blanks and they are built to prefection to your own exact requirements.
I am about to get my second off him. The first was a 6lb IGFA (more like a UK 12lb to 16lb class) rod that also makes a superb light uptider and the second is going to be an ultra light UK6lb class rod.

You choose the rings, the reel fitting, the colour of the wraps, everything. He builds it to your requierments and the price is no more than you would pay for any first class off the shelf rod.
Remember you do get what you pay for. All you have to do is break down the price of indivdual component parts to see what you are getting for your money and when a decent set of rings will cost £30 to £70 alone (trade price) it kind of tells you what rubbish we are buying at the lower end.

I may be a tackle tart, but if all you are doing is catching small (sub 12lb fish) in shallow water and a bit of tide then fine, but if your goals are for something that actually pulls back a bit and may cause some wear from the friction of the braid on your rings then (if you can stretch to it) get the best you can afford. You won't regret it.

The difference in feel from quality tackle to cheap stuff is immeasurable.

All just the opinion of a tackle tart, but one that has tried the very cheap through to the very best.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts