World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am after some information on a rod that I currently own and am unable to locate any information on it anywhere. The rod is a TEAM NORMARK BOAT ANGLER 20lb I.G.F.A. . The rod is very well made fitted with Fugi seat and Braid roller eyes I believe not sure though.
I have enclosed some pictures. Any assistance on how it rates and price would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for reading and any assistance you can provide.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Very nice rod the team normark rods was but not much use now with rollers for one with likes of braid and looks in great condition used a few normark blanks over the years tony fordham used to build a lot on them so could be his rods for them? Take it is 7 foot?
what you could do is post on USA sites like if using flea bay as they'd probably use it with light mono with 1000 yard odd
Norm B should know fair bit plus Philtherod.
Mind would probably be nice with fuji braid eyes then keep it yourself!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and information I will look into your information a little further. Thanks very much

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
Very nice rod the team normark rods was but not much use now with rollers for one with likes of braid and looks in great condition used a few normark blanks over the years tony fordham used to build a lot on them so could be his rods for them? Take it is 7 foot?
what you could do is post on USA sites like if using flea bay as they'd probably use it with light mono with 1000 yard odd
Norm B should know fair bit plus Philtherod.
Mind would probably be nice with fuji braid eyes then keep it yourself!
:) Never had one of these rods but they are/were highly thought of. They are great for braid or nylon with the Fuji braid rollers, I have several rods with these rollers and they certainly help with a big fish on, little or no friction, keep it and use it, you will enjoy it, like Modern Arms & NW Rodcraft they were ahead of their time. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That 20lb IFGA is more like UK 40-50lb as a rough guess. So it's going to be quite a nice big conger rod :) I assume it would bend a but but 7ft may make it a bit of a bruiser on the arms (if my UK 50lb ~30lb IGFA rod is anything to go by).

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Cant agree there Nick...I used to have one very similar, if not identical, it was rated IGFA 20lb, but I would put it 30lb class tops.. Normark rods were/are still highly thought of, very good build quality and excellent blanks.. I still have a couple of Normark 4 and 5 wt fly rods, on the occasional times I use them, even though they are quite a few years old I get admiring looks from ardent fly anglers .

So far as the rollers are concerned, just use it, the rollers wont hurt the line you use, if it was re ringed with conventional eyes, it may make the blank a bit "softer" to use, as roller rings, have a longer bridge length and are generally stiffer in the horizontal than other types.

Dave

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
Cant agree there Nick...I used to have one very similar, if not identical, it was rated IGFA 20lb, but I would put it 30lb class tops.. Normark rods were/are still highly thought of, very good build quality and excellent blanks.. I still have a couple of Normark 4 and 5 wt fly rods, on the occasional times I use them, even though they are quite a few years old I get admiring looks from ardent fly anglers .

So far as the rollers are concerned, just use it, the rollers wont hurt the line you use, if it was re ringed with conventional eyes, it may make the blank a bit "softer" to use, as roller rings, have a longer bridge length and are generally stiffer in the horizontal than other types.

Dave
:) Correction there. The Fuji braid rollers actually soften the blank as apart from the double stripper butt roller all the other rollers are single leg so they actually allow the rod to bend more, making it softer. A well known firm actually sent me some rods to review, they were lovely rods but the line rubbed on the blank under pressure as the rollers were in the wrong places. I phoned them and told them of this problem. "Well they shouldn''t do, these are such and such rods 'but with the new Fuji rollers for braid and they have the same spacings as when they were fitted with rings and they didn't have a problem then". I then told them that the rollers were single leg, not double footed as the rings so allow the rod to flex under the roller, making it softer. "I'm glad you spotted that before we ordered 10,000" was the reply. As a reward they custom made me 2 of the rods with the rollers in the right places, not used them yet but they look and feel good. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cant agree there Nick...I used to have one very similar, if not identical, it was rated IGFA 20lb, but I would put it 30lb class tops..
Ooo.. makes it a nice wrecking (conger/ling/cod) and large tope rod for the larger specimens :D (without having the braid 'saw' going with standard eyes)

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
:) Correction there. The Fuji braid rollers actually soften the blank as apart from the double stripper butt roller all the other rollers are single leg so they actually allow the rod to bend more, making it softer. A well known firm actually sent me some rods to review, they were lovely rods but the line rubbed on the blank under pressure as the rollers were in the wrong places. I phoned them and told them of this problem. "Well they shouldn''t do, these are such and such rods 'but with the new Fuji rollers for braid and they have the same spacings as when they were fitted with rings and they didn't have a problem then". I then told them that the rollers were single leg, not double footed as the rings so allow the rod to flex under the roller, making it softer. "I'm glad you spotted that before we ordered 10,000" was the reply. As a reward they custom made me 2 of the rods with the rollers in the right places, not used them yet but they look and feel good. :)
:) PS. They also told me they'd sent these rods to other mags and got good reviews, none of them mentioned the line rubbing on the blank under tension. :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies the rod is a real nice looking bit of kit especially with the rollers fitted. I haven't personally used it yet due to work commitments and young family. I was debating selling it as I can't see when I will get the opportunity to use it, but after reading th comments above I may well put it away to christen sometime in the future. Thank you all for the great knowledge and education

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi can anyone assist with putting a rough estimate value on the rod just so I know wether it gets stored under my bed or in the shed

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks will keep it indoors as it don't take up no room and I can work on sorting a trip to use it. Many thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts