World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all you experienced blokes out there!

I want to fit rod-rests to my boat, and I'm baffled by all the different types

shown in Magazines and Catalogues. Rail fitting, flush fitting, (means making

holes in my poor boat!) Nylon, Plastic, Stainless steel, straight, angled?

Which ones have you old campaigners found most practical?

Help!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi There,
I'm almost in the same boat as you, literally! as I just bought a Pilothouse 20.
I've just fitted two flush fitting stainless steel rod holders for use when trolling or just general fishing when I want both hands free. I also fitted 4 stainless steel 'rocket launcher' types to the transom for storing extra rods. I'm toying with the idea of fitting rails which would allow me to use other types like the rail monkey, (anyone use these, do they have a groove to allow the line to run freely?).
Saw the earlier posts re. the cushions, I was tempted to to take the plastic off mine but decided against it for the same reason. Shame Orkney didn't do them in blue with white trim.
Let me know how you get on with the new boat.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I had 2 of these on the wheelhouse sides but they only laste 2 years and then they became brittle and broke

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

They have been replaced with these which hold 8 rods, ideal for keeping rods ready for use.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=15992&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I have 4 of these set around the gunnel of the boat. Fully adjustable vertically and horizontally and they lock the rod in place. Any rods in use go in these to save clutter on the deck and stop something big taking the gear overboard.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...varTarget=browse&cmid=PP_P1_1&cmCat=CROSSSELL

I have 2 of these set in the stern gunnel angled slightly outboard. Ideal for the heavier rods for downtiding or for holding the rod when I am fishing with the downrigger

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

Finally 2 stainless rocket holders on each side of the wheelhouse to hold a couple of macky bashing rods made up ready. Saves time getting bait and saves all the scales and crud getting on other tackle.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...rClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=12&hvarTarget=browse

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
We should start a DA 20 club!

I have the flush mount stainless steel types on the gunwale with cheapo plastic rocket launchers on the transom - the flush mount are a good job as when not in use they dont get in the way of mooring lines etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Lads!

Lot of food for thought.

ChrisP!

That's a wealth of information you've supplied there, and I've looked at the
sites you provided. I must admit, I do like the look of the s/steel flush-mount
ones. My knowledge of boat fishing matches my knowledge of boats, so this is a good starting point. If I didn't know what boat you've got, I'd of thought you had a ruddy Aircraft carrier with all that lot on it!

Fish force!

Could you tell me how you fixed the flush mounts to the boat?
Having cut holes for them, did you seal them in with silicon or resin or something? Also, have you got an outboard engine, and if so does fishing over the transom create a problem? Yes, will give an opinion when we've used the boat (any minute now!), but can't compare it with anything else 'cos we've never had one!

MarieK!

It sounds as though I can't go wrong with the flush-mounts, you've got them as well! How long have you had your 20, and have you been pleased with the performance of it? I like the sound of a 20 club, imagine seeing a fleet of those all setting out for somewhere!! Trouble is, the three on here couldn't be further apart!!
;)
!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The fixed mount type are not the best. They hold the rod too high IMHO, you get a crick in the neck watching the tip and if the boat is a bit lively bites are impossible to spot. The ones I use the most are the adjustable gunnel mount. They hold the rod secure at the reel seat and you can adjust the rod tip height and angle for uptiding or downtiding. The fixed mount also require a big hole in the transom which must weaken it. The rest are just to store rods not in use to keep the deck clear.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This is season 3 been very happy with performance - I would say it doesnt have the turn of speed of say an Arvor/Quicksilver but as an all rounder I cannot complain.

I would agree with ChrisP about the flush mounts being best for keeping the rods out of the way, say on the way out to a mark, the swivel type would be best as a rod rest while actually fishing/trolling. Your best bet is to just start using her and fit things as and when you see a need for them.

Do you keep the boat somewhere in Wales? I am in Swansea/Cardiff quite regularly on business maybe before the summer is out I could make it up to you!! Likewise if you are ever in NI, actually if anyone is ever in NI and fancies a bit of fishing give me a shout!

Ryan

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use the flush mount for trolling, travelling and occasionally bottom fishing. They do hold the rods a bit high but I'm not uptiding and most of my fishing's on the drift. I spend a week or two each year fishing for tope and in the past I've just rested the rods against the side of the boat with no problems, (obviously the ratchet's on and the reel in free spool). I was considering fitting rails which would make this easier and add a bit of safety but at the moment I can reach the water which can be quite handy.
To fit the rests I drilled a 2 inch hole then increased this a bit at one end with a jig-saw to allow for the angle. I didn't bother with any silicone as they have a rubber base, the nuts and bolts are stainless and if any water does get under it'll only drip onto the deck. I did this on my last boat without any problems. They were fitted angled out slightly which helps spread the lures a little.I got mine from Nautequipe, advert's in Sea Angler, and it cost around £50 for 4 rocket launchers and 2 flush mounts, all stainless steel. Pretty fair I thought.
I was fishing over the back for a time today, (I've got a Suzuki 70). I was using an 81/2 foot long rod, ( I thought we were meant to be metric now, I wish they'd put fish weights and rod lenghts in both to help me adjust ), and had two rods in the rocket launchers fitted to the centre part of the transom and didn't have any problems. Didn't catch much mind, the cod here are getting smaller every year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you three remind me of Tommy Coopers' hat (oops! showing my age!), no matter how many times I delve into it, there's an unending supply of interesting things coming out! I've learned more from you fellers in the last few weeks than I did from all the books & mags. I could lay my hands on over the last 18 months. Much appreciated!

Oh by the way MarieK, I live in West Wales (5mls. from Lampeter), but the boat will be moored at Aberystwyth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts