World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I wish to buy a boat rod and am considering a 12-20lb one.
I shore fish quite often but have never fished from a dinghy.My question is will this size of rod do as a general purpose boat rod.Could I spin with it?Feather for mackerel?troll for Pollack? etc.
I already have a 10ft spinning rod and a 11ft6in bass rod.Should I buy a boat rod or with these do the same job?
Also a have a Abu 6501C3 with levelwind and would like to use it with the boat rod.Will it be ok?
Richard

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
A rod over 9 foot on a boat is difficult to control, gets in the way all the time. An uptider is the ideal compromise for boat, pier and short range beach.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You will probably get away with using your spinning rod for the pollack and mackeral provided its not too light - do you know its casting weight rating? but if you want to bottom fish with weights of more than a couple of ounces then I'd go for a boat rod.
I've been using a Greys Longboat 10-15lb, matched with a small Shimano Calcutta for the last few weeks and it's great for weights up to 6oz. I imagine the 15-20lb class rod would be excellent for slightly heavier work.
There are loads of good rods out there for a decent price which can be matched to any number of reels. Personally, I use Shimanos, (the charter specials have been great little reels that take loads of punishment), and various Abu models.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi.
Thanks for your replies.
My spinning rod is rated at 15-40g.Is this a bit light? (I have lifted a 3lb Pollack out of the water with it ok as it has quite a bit of backbone)
I've also got a carp rod but its not rung for a muliplier and is also 11ft long.
Richard

G

·
hi dick

i used to wonder the same myself from a small boat should i be using my 30lb rod for pout and whiting <no!!!!!!!> i have a 12-20 rod and would say best rod ive got unless your in deep water going for massive fish the 12-20 is a great rod ive caught a 8lb on a 30 lb rob didnt feel great i caught a 10.5lbsmoothie on a 12-20 what a scrap.personally id go for the lighter rod if working inshore nothing like the feeling of not knowing if your rod is going to snap (unless it does) i tend to feel like a 30lb i a bit of a stick unless looking for tope or something heavy.
12-20 pulls in plenty. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've just been using the 10-15 longboat for toping and it handles them fine.
Your 15-40g rod will be fine in terms of playing the fish, it just wont handle any heavy lead / casting weight. Don't lift the fish into the boat with the rod, either lift it in by hand or use a net.
I wouldn't bother with the carp rod because, as Chris said, the longer rods can be a bit of a hindrance on boats.
Have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts