World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi lads,

when i buy a boat rod i see alot of them are about 7ft long. are these used for wrecking mainly??

could i use an uptider for uptiding and wrecking??

what is the difference between the 7ft and uptiders. most of my fishing will be wrecking with some inshore stuff.

i dont want to spend for than £80 so any advice would be wicked!

Jamie

·
Registered
712 Posts
buy a shakespeare ugly stick gold 20-30lb, great all round introductory rod, if you find you want to go uptiding, buy a shakespeare ugly stick gold uptider later.
Although I have many newer and much more expensive boat rods, I would never be without my ugly sticks.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are the ugly stiks good rods? they seem cheap. i dont want to buy something that will only last a few trips..

Jamie

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jamie most boats rods are around 7ft as you just drop the bait straight over the side, wherease uptiders are typically 9-10ft and are designed so that you can cast the bait up tide i.e. in front of the boat.

A good quality uptider is very versatile and can be used for various types of fishing, for £80 you can buy youselve a really good rod

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would go for an abu uptider with the extending but (suveran or conolon).

Great for uptiding of course. great for red gilling or working shads over wrecks and also acts as a great downtiding rod.

Almost swiss army knife of rods bet ya could use on a pier.

G

·
"the worlds tuffest blank!", will probably outlast you Jamie!!
....Maybe in 1979 or whenever it was that they were launched.

Used to have the very original 15lb class and it was superb... back then.

Many manufacturers now build rods of equal or better quality and in fact the blanks themselves are simply own to what action you prefer as much as anything else.

Just remember that a good quality set of rings alone can set you back £50 to buy so if you are looking at a complete finished rod for that sort of price, just ask what you are really getting for your money.

NOt saying you have to spend a fortune Jamie, just be aware that many an angler claims to be using the best, based on reputations built up 30 years ago (look at it from the beach casting point of view and ABU users. Still an excellent reel, but many others are now as good, if not, far better).

Tom

·
Registered
464 Posts
As always, look for the sticker "Made in China". Then decide.

"The sweet smell of a cheap price is long forgotten. It's the sour taste of poor performance that stays around".

G

·
As always, look for the sticker "Made in China". Then decide.

"The sweet smell of a cheap price is long forgotten. It's the sour taste of poor performance that stays around".

On the whole I would have to agree with you there Terry, although your coment about the sticker has made me chuckle....
...I'll explain when we chat later. :secret:

Tom

·
Registered
335 Posts
if you can stretch your budget to the £100 mark m8 go for the abu suveran 20-30. first time i used it i thought it was gonna break it bent so much, but its still going strong almost a year later. for light fishing go for the 12-20. now that really does bend :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts