World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Looking at doing some boat trips soon. Will I get away with using a heavy spinning rod, 9' 1-3oz for jigging feathers or am I better getting a boat rod?

As I'll only be going occasionally I'd rather just use what i have if its suitable.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,962 Posts
Hi Guys

Looking at doing some boat trips soon. Will I get away with using a heavy spinning rod, 9' 1-3oz for jigging feathers or am I better getting a boat rod?

As I'll only be going occasionally I'd rather just use what i have if its suitable.

Thanks
:) When I first went boat fishing I was given a handline. :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is it local charter boats around the NE Scotland coast? You say feathers, so guessing it's cod, mackerel, pollack, coalies. If fishing feathers on this coast, charter boats fishing out of say Arbroath - you'll need 8oz leads to keep you fishing as vertically as possible, otherwise you'll be fishing off the bottom (catching hee-haw) and/or drifting into other anglers lines on every drop. This means you'll be spending most of your time not catching, pulling your hair out untangling lines and avoiding the wrath of those whose lines you snag.

Back to the rod Q, 9ft on a busy charter is a bit long and cumbersome, keep it for chucking feathers with 2 or 3oz off the NE rocks in the summer - perfect. For the boat, I'd go for a 6-12lb or 12-20lb sub-8ft boat rod that can handle 8-10oz leads - I bet you can pick one up for peanuts in the jan sales that will do the job.

ps. NE coast charters start tend to start around April/May thru to Sept/Oct. I'm not aware of any that go out in the winter months. If you know of any let me know.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
SC

·
Registered
19,962 Posts
But, that was all anyone had back in those days, pre-war ………………… ;)
:) I think I was 8 and it was a SSSAC juniors competition, tackle and bait supplied, a handline and squid, I won my boat and won a centre pin reel. A year later I was in NZ and was given a handline and sheeps liver soaked in paraffin for bream fishing. I now use a rod and reel but often wonder how a handline would work. :)

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
:) I think I was 8 and it was a SSSAC juniors competition, tackle and bait supplied, a handline and squid, I won my boat and won a centre pin reel. A year later I was in NZ and was given a handline and sheeps liver soaked in paraffin for bream fishing. I now use a rod and reel but often wonder how a handline would work. :)
Yeah, and I would hear the screams down here, if you hooked a decent Tope or Hound off the Nab!!!!! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts