World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever had there boat respayed or any idea how much it would cost for a 14ft cjr to be done?
cheers jon

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Boats are not like cars as the hull takes a lot of punishment, so special paint is needed. Firstly, why do you want to respray? If it is just to make it look better, you may be better off using fibreglass polish and wax, and give the gel coat a very thorough going over with a power polisher. It will come up like new if you put enough time into it. If you want to change the colour or hide repairs, then use a special marine 2-part epoxy paint which you have to mix. If you do this properly it will look nearly like a sprayed finish, but the paint is not cheap. Work out the area to be painted then see what the coverage is with the paint. The only other cost is time and paintbrushes. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Evening - quick thread hijack...

What polish and wax do you recommend for a GRP boat?

Also, I have a tatty interior I would like to spruce up - any good tips for a solid, strong interior finish on a 17' open boat?

TIA :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
magicdog said:
Evening - quick thread hijack...

What polish and wax do you recommend for a GRP boat?

Also, I have a tatty interior I would like to spruce up - any good tips for a solid, strong interior finish on a 17' open boat?

Most Chandlers will stock a good quality Paint, International seems to be the most popular, I did the inside of my Hog last year, looked great, and easy to clean the fish muck off.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
magicdog said:
Thanks for that Shrop - I had looked at their range :)

Any polish and waxing advice for GRP anyone?...
I went to a yacht chandlers and asked them, they were very helpful. The good stuff aint cheap but well worth it. Don't skimp on the wax though. I can't recommed the make I use cos its on my boat which is a long way away at the moment :(

For paint, I recomment a light grey, looks great and doesn't show the dirt. Degrease well first though, or it will flake off and look awful.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Cheers Salar

The flaking off is exactly the problem I have - dodgy job by the previous owner... :rolleyes:

I would love to do all the wood seating and gunnels - any idea if it's difficult to remove the woodwork or is it best left in situ?

I was considering removing the woodwork and repainting the inside properly and re-varnishing the woodwork while it's out...

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
It all depends how the woodwork id fixed on. If the fixings are dodgy, best to remove, clean up and replace with new fixings. If firmly fixed, why remove? Just clean up in situ and re-finish. PS try Deksolje for a nice matt finish on hardwood, goes on nice and easy like an oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts