World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something very dodgy happened this morning and I was just wondering whether anything similar has happened to anyone else.

Whilst I was sleeping this morning my girlfriend noticed my boat shaking so she went outside to check. Parked in our drive, in front of the boat but facing it, was a pick-up. The driver had hold of the trailer at the hitch. I'll add my boat's a Pilot House 20, quite heavy and not that easy to move so he was using some force. When she confronted him he told her he was here to deliver the car and that he'd just spoken to the owner who told him she'd meet him in the driveway with the boat in it. He then started asking questions about the boat, all of which she blanked. My girlfriend looked at the paper he was holding and saw house number 19 written on it and suggested he try to find the correct owner, at which time he drove off. Not before she took a note of his number plate though - she's very clever my girlfriend.

When she told me this I went round to check with the people at number 19 and no great surprise, they weren't expecting a new car to be delivered.

So many aspects of this story make me suspicious, how many people get the wrong address when delivering a car?, how many delivery men then start shaking the customers boat?, I haven't seen any other boats in the area and I can't imagine many women drive pick-ups.

I certainly hope it's all totally innocent but I don't want to take chances so I've called the police who agreed it was very sus' and are, hopefully, looking into it. I'll post the outcome when they get back to me.

The boat has a lock on the hitch and a heavy duty wheel lock, (mates selling one so I think I'll put a second one on it), so it's fairly secure but I still don't think I'll sleep too well.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Move it. Now. He's already sussed the security. He'll come back with the tools to remove it and will probably come back with a set of wheels just in case.

By the way, you can check if his number plate is genuine here:- http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Click on 'vehicle enquiry' and enter the make and number plate. If it doesn't come back with some details it's a fake plate.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
very suspect,

i know i might be a bit sinister but how about hooking the trailer up to the mains,say get an inverter and drop the voltage,a tad,give any unsuspecting thief a shock or a movement alarm.

or if ur driveway is paved stick a knuckle ring in then chain trailer to it,thief wont see it until its tolate.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
contact the police straight away.

one of the guys in the club had his warrior knicked from his house and they just cut the security devices away. wheel clamp & triple lock.

insist the police make some enquiries and make sure your insurance is up to date.
If your experience is anything like mine you'll have a long wait before you get any sense out of the police. Take your own precautions which should include finding somewhere else to keep your boat. Like the others said he's already sussed out how to nick it, he's just got to pick a time now.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
very suspect,

i know i might be a bit sinister but how about hooking the trailer up to the mains,say get an inverter and drop the voltage,a tad,give any unsuspecting thief a shock or a movement alarm.

What you are suggesting is actually called attempted murder. It carries a maximum prison sentence of LIFE, and is rather silly to even suggest playfully.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
ah but

if you think long and hard and look into sinister devices,you may come across one called a door mine,(perfectly legal)..

its 2 pegs and some wire one peg has a trigger in it,u install a 9mm blank pistol shell,
staring gun cartridge,attack to trailer,and ground any slight tug and BANG wake up the whole street. the C**t will think he.s being shot at.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
ah but

if you think long and hard and look into sinister devices,you may come across one called a door mine,(perfectly legal)..

its 2 pegs and some wire one peg has a trigger in it,u install a 9mm blank pistol shell,
staring gun cartridge,attack to trailer,and ground any slight tug and BANG wake up the whole street. the C**t will think he.s being shot at.
Brilliant, Just what I want - where do I get one and what about the ammo?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i would defo take all the wheels off if i was leaving my boat on a trailor.
:idea:
Leave the wheels, instead install a good clamp. It's verry easy to silently put on two or four wheels on a trailer. Removing a good clamp (like the kind on the picture but with a bigger locking section) makes loads of grinding or drilling noise.
The night before we go fishing (otherwise the boat is at the storage) it always helps me sleep to block the trailer with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sadly we had our house done on Sunday so I would recommend fitting whatever you can to that boat asap. Our place was checked out twice the week before we think - the dog woke us up twice barking and running to the front door in the middle of the night. Sadly we didnt listen to our mutt and the thieving little pikeys made off with a few grands worth of kit in daylight on Sunday afternoon while we were out walking the formentioned canine!

Id move the boat for a few weeks if possible. Im sure they will return mate sadly...

Either way keep a boat hook or gaff handy and remember it was 'all in self defence guvnor' :g:

:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Leave the wheels, instead install a good clamp. It's verry easy to silently put on two or four wheels on a trailer. Removing a good clamp (like the kind on the picture but with a bigger locking section) makes loads of grinding or drilling noise.
No it doesn't. I can get one of those off nearly silently in under 5 minutes.

CCTV is a waste of time too unless you're staring at the screen all the time.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
small point dont leave yer boat lock keys with your car keys,as they may breakin to ur home when ur not there.stick them in the fridge freezer

·
Registered
368 Posts
Set up some Pir 500 W lights to illuminate you boat combined with cctv and the best immobilising kit you can find is the best deterent. Consider fitting a ground anchorage point that secure the frame of the trailer to the ground. The harder and more conspicuose you make it for someone to tamper with your boat the safer it is

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
bit of a pain but as well as ground anchors and chain to the trailer, I unbolt the towing hitch from mine.

next measure might be some security posts in your driveway, in front of the boat, the ones with a lock in the top to remove the post.

that said if they want it that bad they'll get at it some how. mate of mine had all off the above... so they just took his outboard, the quick way, in the middle of the afternoon.... stihl sawed it off with most of the transom

·
Registered
106 Posts
contact the police straight away.

one of the guys in the club had his warrior knicked from his house and they just cut the security devices away. wheel clamp & triple lock.

insist the police make some enquiries and make sure your insurance is up to date.
I agree with Dale contact the police straight away
i am sure they will be able to prosecute this bloke for attemped thieft:clap2:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Its not cheap, and not an answer to all. But how about, afloat at a marina with security. My marina is manned 24/7 + CCTV, and we need to go through a lock also available 24/7. Expensive? not compared to loosing a boat? and there is the practicality of 'step on step off', another story. There is a Marina up the river that has a secure compound for trailer mounted boats.

Non of the marinas in our area suffer full boat removals, although there are some minor pilfering at the less secure partially unmanned establishments. The wet river moorings get the occasional break-in, they are a pain, so much wanton damage usually for so little!:yucky:

If practical, a would favour parking my car accross my drive?

ET's OPO

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Just An Idea,,,,i Use A Baby Monitor In My Shed,,,in Doors I Have The Reciever ,,,i Would Hear The Bastards At The Door ,,even Before They Got In,,,,if I Whisper In The Shed ,,my Misses Can Hear It From 15 Metres Away ,so If Igonna Talk About Her ,,i Must Make Sure To Switch It Off LOL,,,only Good When Werer There Tho ,but It Does Give Peace Of Mind

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys,

As I said, I did contact the police but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
The boat was safe and sound last night but there has been one theft - the orange, 99p, B+Q bucket that was in my driveway?!?!?!!
I'd love to leave the boat in a secure marina but there isn't one round here that's anywhere near decent fishing grounds.
I've got the 4x4 parked in front of the boat just now and the neighbours have been told to call the police if they see the boat move an inch. I feel like getting taxis everywhere!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts