World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the weather as it was it would be bad manners not to get afloat, unfortunately nobody told the fish (nor the bait diggers) that it was a perfect day to go fishing. I was surprised that there was no fresh lugworm to be had, probably these small tides don't give the diggers enough time to make it worth their while?
I was offered frozen black wraps by the guy in Swansea Tackle & Bait at a reduced rate because he had no fresh (which I thought was tidy of him) so I took some frozen black as I have always found it a good alternative. We locked out about 0830 onto a very "swelly" sea, & made our way out onto the Green Grounds off Swansea, fishing was very slow to start with & only the odd small growler hanging themselves on the cod baits. I picked up jumbo whiting quite regularly on a 2 hook flowing trace with alternate yellow/black beads whilst they ignored the snood with all yellow beads, & they preferred the frozen black lug to any other bait, they ignored mackerel strip???????
I also caught a couple of keeper dabs, but it was the whiting that kept me busy throughout the day, whereas the other guys on the boat couldn't catch a keeper whiting as hard as they tried, whilst I ended up with a bucketful isn't this fishing thing just crazy?
A couple of the guys were connecting with good fish only to be cut off, & I thought it might be congers, then one of them caught one of the culprits, a spurdog of 12lb 4ozs, then another one had one, then a few more heavy takes & they were gone.
We eventually headed back at 3.30pm not wanting to be involved in wind over a small tide with no run catching only small growlers, so we came in, & from what we learned in the locks & the marina fishing had been poor all over? I am surprised because the weather was good, we shouldn't have had that much freshwater, we had a nice small tide, so what's the reason????? Is it an early change of season? Maybe after the lock closures there will be a bit more about.
There was one happy bunny here is Johnny Jones with his 12lb 5oz spurdog, well done John you can have my share of those as well!
Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Recreation Jigging

·
Registered
631 Posts
thanks bs for the report i was going to go out at midnight but couldnt get a safety man to go with me atleast some whitting about and the spurs

·
Banned
367 Posts
Excellent as always skip, fancy towing the boat down your ways in the summer to escape the chocolate water of the upper channel. Funny you say about the whiting. This season (cod) dad has been king of the dogfish where as I have had few but am the undisputed king of the conger! My best was 4 in about three quarters of an hour! Fishing hard all round at the mo, reason??

David.

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
Very informative as usual Vic ,and always posing the question ,which gets people thinking . Can't understand why someone would disagree with your catch report ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
889 Posts
excellent report as usual blueskip,always enjoy your reports of your "adventures"....newguy.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
To be honest
Not sure on a bigger screen mind ie laptop pc. But on my mobile I keep hitting the wrong button for either funny or tick. And hit disagree. Maybe this is the case.
Good catch report. though all the same.
Keith

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
To be honest
Not sure on a bigger screen mind ie laptop pc. But on my mobile I keep hitting the wrong button for either funny or tick. And hit disagree. Maybe this is the case.
Good catch report. though all the same.
Keith
You can go back and change a wrong disagree. I have done the same and put it right.

Excellent report Vic, I bet the Belle was glad to get out of the marina :eek::eek::eek: sorry I was unable to join you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
great report pal and I wouldn't mind some of those spurs!! what boat did you charter? you should try dragon baits in sandfeilds for your worm. good worm and generous deals depending on who's working.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great report pal and I wouldn't mind some of those spurs!! what boat did you charter? you should try dragon baits in sandfeilds for your worm. good worm and generous deals depending on who's working.
Apparently Dragon didn't have any to supply Swansea Tackle & Bait either? It must be that with the tides as small as they were it wasn't viable for diggers to dig their usual areas? But it was no great hardship, on Mumbles Belle we are used to adapting our methods, traces, baits etc, because once we have made our decision as to where we are going to fish, it takes us too long to change spots, so we change tactics until we find something that works :D
"What boat did you charter?" I like that one, inferring that we don't usually catch anything :eek: (we resemble that remark lol). We do consider species such as spurdogs, smooth hounds, tope, conger, rays etc as something that we have as a bi-catch when we are trying to catch "real" fish such as plaice, dabs, bream, cod, whiting, bass, turbot, that fry up nicely ;)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Nice one Vic, they wont go hungry in your house with a constant supply of fresh dabs and whiting. And a nice "rock salmon" for the southerner John.

I think the disagree might relate to the comment about bait diggers? Must be a mare for the tackle shops to provide fresh bait with the weather we have been having. Best to ring a few days before and order some.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice one Vic, they wont go hungry in your house with a constant supply of fresh dabs and whiting. And a nice "rock salmon" for the southerner John.

I think the disagree might relate to the comment about bait diggers? Must be a mare for the tackle shops to provide fresh bait with the weather we have been having. Best to ring a few days before and order some.
Lol I think the "disagree" came because like me he has sausages for fingers, you should see me trying to write a text its like a Chinese guard report :eek:
You are right I do like to keep a good supply of edible species in the freezer, & by having a regular stock I can always share what I catch amongst the anglers who haven't done so well, its always good to see them leave with a few fish in their plastic bags, & it keeps them coming back (but I think they come back for the hot sausage rolls & crispy baps not the Belle fishing experience) :D
Regarding the bait the lad has struggled for days with the tides & weather against the diggers & I am happy to use frozen black wraps for what I fish for, & as long as he has maddies when the bream return all will be forgiven. I must admit that I am not as fussy about my bait & its presentation as I should be, people like Phil Cryer put me to shame when they bait up, it looks like "fine dining" compared to my offerings, but it seems to fool some of the fish some of the time, & as long as the anglers catch I am happy to make tea & fry sausages :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I didn't know it was your boat skipper. I was wondering what boat it was as I charter as often as I can out of Swansea. I can't say I've come across the mumbles belle before but will look you up. hope no offence taken.

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
I didn't know it was your boat skipper. I was wondering what boat it was as I charter as often as I can out of Swansea. I can't say I've come across the mumbles belle before but will look you up. hope no offence taken.
It is one of two club boats belonging to Mumbles Motor Boat & Fishing Club, £30 per annum to join and sessions on the Belle cost from £11 and I think the most expensive one was £15 or £16 pounds when we go down to Oxwich Bay.

The larger boat "Oystercat" or the "slab" as Vic and I know her :rolleyes::D does trips down to Lundy costing about £70 depending on numbers but shorter trips for around £20 to £25 pounds ish.

Excellent value for money, lots of good banter from some great members.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As Ken has already said it isn't my boat it belongs to MMBFC (We are a charity & we take donations from the angler/members towards the running costs of the boats, we don't "charge" as such for the trip) I only skipper it for the Club, it is one of two, there is a fast 10m Youngs Offshore catamaran "Oystercat", & there is "Mumbles Belle" (or Mumbles Mixer) as some call her because she has a 3 cylinder Lister engine the same as they fit into big dumpers. She only does about 7.5 knots flat out making 8 knots if you have a following tide, a following wind, & you are going downhill, you cant miss it it's bright orange & is overtaken by everything else on the way out & back. We also tend to be more laid back in our fishing than most, we get to where we have decided to go, & then we try different traces, & baits, & methods, until we find a combination that works, & then we have another cup of tea. We also tend to lock in & out at "Gentleman's" times, we are of the opinion that 8 o'clock comes only once every 24hrs & that is 8pm we don't believe that 8am actually exists, we usually lock out at 9am a more "gentlemanly" time & if we have to wait 15 mins for somebody then what is 15 mins in the greater scheme of things? :D
We do take it a little more seriously than we let on, & we have had quite a few good trips this Autumn/Winter with good catches of big whiting & dabs, & last summer we did well drifting for plaice & dabs in the bay (our best day last summer was 27 plaice, 6 dabs, & a single bass, between 3 of us) it was a shirt off, flat calm day & the water was like gin. We also had quite a few bream from a couple of spots locally, so we aren't QUITE the "Dads Army" gang that we & others make us out to be ;)

Reactions: jeff3

·
Registered
189 Posts
thanks for that both. had a look at the website aswell and was mega impressed with what was done with the belle. I've seen the oystercatcher in the lock a good few times. fine looking vessel. you must have a lot of members so I bet it's hard to get a slot for the boats?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for that both. had a look at the website aswell and was mega impressed with what was done with the belle. I've seen the oystercatcher in the lock a good few times. fine looking vessel. you must have a lot of members so I bet it's hard to get a slot for the boats?
Both boats require a lot of work to keep them in good order, & seeing as they are owned by the club, then "making do" doesn't come into it, if they need something, it gets done, so they are both usually available all the time. The only things that limit when they go out, are the weather, skipper availability, & getting enough anglers to go!
You are right we do have a lot of members, & a healthy bank balance, but the number of people who use the boats is very small, it is usually the same names that appear on the booking form trip after trip, & filling the boats is far more difficult than you would imagine, (phoning around to get enough anglers is quite common)! We have a nucleus of about 30 people who use the boats (about 20 who use them regularly), we don't know why either?
Oystercat is big enough & fast enough to go ANYWHERE & do ANYTHING, Mumbles Belle is big enough & slow enough to fish locally (Port Talbot/ Oxwich) so we have all eventualities covered, but trying to fill the boats, twice a week (which we really need to do for them to break even) is a real chore, & neither boat can be sure of being full, or even getting enough members to make the trip viable! :eek:
So if you are worried about joining the club & not getting a slot on the boats, I can reassure you that you will be able to sign up for any & every trip that is proposed, & if you want to post a trip yourself on any given day you can do so, & hope that a skipper & enough members sign up with you to make it viable.
It is a constant headache for the club that there is such a lack of interest in what we have to offer & we are ALWAYS looking for new members, especially ones who want to go fishing (boat or shore) We have a cracking 16 seater minibus & a purpose built trailer, which are lying around just waiting to be used if you want to use that as well our shore angling committee member would love to welcome you too. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
39,072 Posts
Cannot add anything to Vic's statement it is a great opportunity for boat and shore anglers.

I have been checking the weather and sods law the lock is closed for maintenance when we have a decent envelope of good weather :eek::eek::eek::eek: I am hoping it last until the locks are back in action :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Both boats require a lot of work to keep them in good order, & seeing as they are owned by the club, then "making do" doesn't come into it, if they need something, it gets done, so they are both usually available all the time. The only things that limit when they go out, are the weather, skipper availability, & getting enough anglers to go!
You are right we do have a lot of members, & a healthy bank balance, but the number of people who use the boats is very small, it is usually the same names that appear on the booking form trip after trip, & filling the boats is far more difficult than you would imagine, (phoning around to get enough anglers is quite common)! We have a nucleus of about 30 people who use the boats (about 20 who use them regularly), we don't know why either?
Oystercat is big enough & fast enough to go ANYWHERE & do ANYTHING, Mumbles Belle is big enough & slow enough to fish locally (Port Talbot/ Oxwich) so we have all eventualities covered, but trying to fill the boats, twice a week (which we really need to do for them to break even) is a real chore, & neither boat can be sure of being full, or even getting enough members to make the trip viable! :eek:
So if you are worried about joining the club & not getting a slot on the boats, I can reassure you that you will be able to sign up for any & every trip that is proposed, & if you want to post a trip yourself on any given day you can do so, & hope that a skipper & enough members sign up with you to make it viable.
It is a constant headache for the club that there is such a lack of interest in what we have to offer & we are ALWAYS looking for new members, especially ones who want to go fishing (boat or shore) We have a cracking 16 seater minibus & a purpose built trailer, which are lying around just waiting to be used if you want to use that as well our shore angling committee member would love to welcome you too. :rolleyes:
Having just read ' Blueskips' comments above I'm surprised, really surprised. 'Oystercat' looks a superb boat, as good as any charter boat I've been out on, and the 'mumbles belle' seems to get amongst the fish. I'd have thought filling the boats would've been easy, as some charter boats out of Cardiff are booked months in advance. I guess some people don't appreciate how good they've got it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts