World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm getting ready to drag our boat over to Spain but before we do anything the trailer needs work on it.

Its a 5 year old Parrymore twin axle trailer with Peak axles. I'm not majorly mechanically minded but at a guess would say it would need new bearings all round, new brakes & new brake cables.

Does anyone know or can recommend someone to do this for me, ideally North Wales area.

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
any small garage would be able to do that for you

·
Registered
25,146 Posts
Folks,

I'm getting ready to drag our boat over to Spain but before we do anything the trailer needs work on it.

Its a 5 year old Parrymore twin axle trailer with Peak axles. I'm not majorly mechanically minded but at a guess would say it would need new bearings all round, new brakes & new brake cables.

Does anyone know or can recommend someone to do this for me, ideally North Wales area.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Paul,
Have you considered a full set of new tyres inc. spare as well.
That way you should be that much better prepared.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Please renew everything and dont have a wheel dropping off like mine did.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Peak parts are cheap compared to most, source the parts and PM me, I will talk you through the replacement. It is simply a case of replacing like for like. Well near enough.

I am in North Wales and could do it for you but it will cost, you can do it yourself with a bit of help. A pm will get it for you if you want it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

All looking OK so far, my cousin is a mechanic and he's going to help me in exchange for a few trips out whilst we take the boat off the trailer for a week (will stick it on a temp mooring whilst we work on it.)

I've booked a week off work to do it all and quite confident we can do it between us but appreciate the offer off help spannerswinger. If I get struggling for parts or any aspect of the refurb I'll certainly PM you.

Paul

·
Banned
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The bearing come with matched shells for them to revolve in. The old shells need to be removed from the hub, they are an interferance fit, ie they are too big for the hole so they are banged in.

Inside the hub you will find a lip with a couple of cut outs in it. Use a punch sized to fit the cut out to force the shell out, bang one side then the other through the cutout to remove the shell.

Offer up the new shell to the cleaned housing and either use a custom made drift or the old shell to act as a drift to hammer the new shell into the hub utill it bottoms out on the flange with the cut outs.

Do both sides of the hub, repace both shells and you can replace the bearings themselves with oodles of grease knowing the bearings and shells were machined to work together.

New bearings and old shells are a no no, they will not last a season.

G

·
Folks,

I'm getting ready to drag our boat over to Spain Paul
:eek:fftopic: Please make sure when you go to Spain that you have your ICC certificate, ownership papers for the boat & trailer, All vat invoices for boat, trailer, all fixtures & fittings, and especially for the electronics.
And take them all with you.

The Guarda love impounding foreign boats.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, we leave Bolton on Saturday with it. In the end I sacked the idea of refurbing the trailer and traded it in for a new one as there are deals to be had out there. As regards documents I've got with me....

ICC certificate
Original VAT invoice for boat
CE cert for boat
Registration cert for boat
CE cert for trailer
Invoice for trailer
Insurance for boat and translation into Spanish
Passport
Driving Licence
Spare wheel/bulbs//wheel clamp/hitchlock

Anyone think of anything else I may have missed...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts