·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumb!!!!!!! come on people help me out.......

G

·
Hi there,

are you any good with a welder?

It might be possible to salvage some of the trailer that you have and weld some new plates and get a pair of suspension units for it.

Failing that, try looking on that well known auction site for a project speedboat or something that has a trailer, then scrap the boat and keep the trailer.

Not quite the same size as you need but I recently bought a sailing dinghy with trailer for 59 quid and converted the trailer for my inflatable.

Just something for you to think about.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

are you any good with a welder?

It might be possible to salvage some of the trailer that you have and weld some new plates and get a pair of suspension units for it.

Failing that, try looking on that well known auction site for a project speedboat or something that has a trailer, then scrap the boat and keep the trailer.

Not quite the same size as you need but I recently bought a sailing dinghy with trailer for 59 quid and converted the trailer for my inflatable.

Just something for you to think about.

Malcolm.
cheers malc ,

the trailer i have is shot all the way through , i have looked into getting a new one but they are asking around £1200 for one , believe me if it was repairable i would havedone it ...... cheers for the feedback ....
kind regards....

G

·
Is anything salvagable on the old one?

Keel rollers, winch post, coupling etc?

I bought a 60mm x 60mm x 5mm x 7.6m length of box steel for my trailer and paid somewhere around £45.
I did have a pair of suspension units that were new and unused so bought a couple of mounting plates, a few more keel rollers and some new U bolts and set about swapping everything over.
The new one is adjustable and the only thing I really had to do was to make packing strips up for the keel rollers.
Total cost was under £200 and took me about 6 hours, not counting a couple of trips to get materials.
I know it's not a fancy all singing, all dancing, galvanised one but to me at the time it was affordable.
It got a couple of coats of galvafroid paint and then sprayed with a two pack (that I just happened to have) and it will do us for a while.

The only welding was the two suspension mounting plates and a couple of lengths of angle iron to allow the axle to slide back and forth. Everything else is just bolted.

You never know what you can do yourself until you put your mind to it :)

Malcolm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts