World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,just nipped over from the wales forum to ask a few questions.......going on a boat from exmouth easter weekend.NEED SOME TIPS!!!!!THINK THE BOAT IS CALLED BLUE THUNDER?we are apparently drifting over wrecks,so i need advice on what class rod,line,colour of eels we will need,wieghts.any help to give me the edge over the other guys would be great!!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Hi salmonking, sounds like your going out with mike deem so your in good hands. i should imagine pollack will be your main target. fish 10-20lb class rod, 7000 size reel loaded with 20lb braid, 12ft 15-18lb trace off a 10inch boom. I would take red gills but in my experience jelly worms are better, and even better than jellyworms are the leaded storm shads these really kick ass. bring the 4inch in a variety of colours. It might be a little too early for cod or bass but you never know so chuck a couple of pirks in your bag as well. A couple tips for you; use a paper clip to attach your weight to your boom (if your weight snags you won't lose the whole rig) and if you do use braid its wise to use a leader of about 30ft to stop the braid getting damaged when your close to the wreck. Hope this all makes sense mate if theirs anything else just post again.
regards
stu

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
It will depend on the tides, where you're going and what you'll be targetting.

I'll be out from Beer tomorrow for the day. It will be inshore though (2-6 miles). I'll let you know how we get on.

Always best in my opinion is to phone the skipper in advance. Not on the day cos he's preoccupied sorting the boat/anglers out etc.. This is the BEST way to find out what tactics to use and should have you already prepared in advance.

Sorry if this is preaching to the converted and if anyone disagrees that's cool.

In my experience....

I only ever use a 20lb class boat rod for everything. I use 20lb braid and have shed loads loaded onto my reel in case the unforseen happens and I snap off quite high up. I use about 15ft of 80lb leader. I use shorter booms for inshore (6") and wire booms for deep sea.
Red Gills are spot on for Pollack and you need not spend a fortune that way. I keep a variety of different colours so I can change depending on water colour/ sunlight. Don't stop winding til near the top for pollack. They often follow and take at the last. Not half way as I've been told. I lost a few "nibbles" after I've stopped winding half way up. I find black to be best. All black Scalliwags work good as well.
Alternatively you can use scarily realistic "Storm Mackerel" (£5-£6) for 2 shads. These are awesome for most (Pollack, Bass etc..).
If targetting Cod (probably not the case at this time though) and you're not using large baits I find that yellow/orange lead head shads do the trick but keep blue ones to fall back on if the fishing is slow with those.
I am a great believer in baiting artificials having lost quite a few fish having had them nibble plastic. I just elasticate something simple on so it'll pass the taste test:)
Bass bandits or Bass assassins (lead heads) are great also for Bassing (go for purple or blue with white tail) but if you snag up it can get expensive.

Have rigs or set-ups tied and stored in a rig wallet/ rig bin and ready to clip on so you don't miss drifts if you snag up. Better to spend the time doing this at home then missing the valuable time over wrecks or reef.

Be ready to change tactics/ hook size if the fish are small and if you have to fall back on whiting etc... then use attractor beads for a great advantage and smaller hooks are a must.

Weight will depend on tide etc but be prepared to go up to 1lb on a spring tide

Most skippers should have some to borrow.

Have fun :clap2:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Going off track with the orig thread slightly here just wanna confer with poughill reef and slinger. Do you guys find eels better than jellyworms and shads? Eels used to be the norm here but now shads and worms outfish the redgills every time ive gone out in the last 5 years. Just wondered if its a trend, a summer thing or an area thing?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
there is a good tackle shop in exmouth.....called exmouth tackle and sports....its in the strand. the owner rob is a very helpful guy, dont have the phone number, but a search will find it.. cheers.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Try ebay, look for a seller called rockbottomtackle. He does all kinds at good prices and delivers within 2 days.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
and thats not me or anyone i know its someone based in the channel islands but thats who i buy from!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts