World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Alan,
Please note, the website isnt very clear!
As mentioned, you have to register with OFCOM first, receive an email, then you will be able to login to the site on the link to actually apply for and recieve a ships radio licence. Fortunately, the site does create a callsign and MMSI number immediately, so no waiting.
Regards Tony

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm in the process of applying for a VHF course, I wanted to obtain all the basic courses before prchasing my boat late this year so my Powerboat course has been booked for September. What I wanted to know is,I live very close to the sea, 200 yrds and once I have my VHF course and exam completed I wanted to install a marine vhf radio at home mainly to get used listening in on radio chatter and to get used to the set and terminalogy used over the radio, does anyone know of any restrictions in doing this as I then wanted to transfer the kit over to the boat once purchased. I could ask the VHF instructor in 4 weeks time but as we were on the subject I thought i'd ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sorry to sound so green around the ears about this subject, I have actually read up quite a bit on the use of VHF but obviously it always refers to one installed on a boat, is there a reason, taking into account I will be a qualified user that I could not transmit, is it purely because the radio would not be registered to a boat? For example knowing quite a few anglers afloat and one or 2 commercial fisherman that fish the area, is there any reason i couldnt ask how the fishing is going, sea conditions etc on the appropriate channel of course.

Cheers

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry to sound so green around the ears about this subject, I have actually read up quite a bit on the use of VHF but obviously it always refers to one installed on a boat, is there a reason, taking into account I will be a qualified user that I could not transmit, is it purely because the radio would not be registered to a boat? For example knowing quite a few anglers afloat and one or 2 commercial fisherman that fish the area, is there any reason i couldnt ask how the fishing is going, sea conditions etc on the appropriate channel of course.

Cheers
You probably know a few people with cars too but would you drive without a driving license ;)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You will be a "Quallified user", for use on a boat.
The installation won't be licenced, when you fit it to a boat you need a Ships Radio Licence.

On land, you need a Shore Station Licence, which you won't get unless you have a very good reason, (e.g. Yacht club, Coatguard, Marina etc.).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cheers ETEC and Brian for the constructive comments.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi, fixed marine sets are only to be used afloat, unless in a marina or harbour office, with a shore based licence, which will also restrict the channels available and power output from the set.
Handhelds can be used on marinas, but again, not ashore. We used to supply a local security company with radios, and they had a contract at the local ferry port. The regulations are such that they had to carry 2 handhelds - 1 to work on their security frequency and one on the marine band! Even though it was perfectly possible for the radio to work on both! There are plenty of scanning receivers that will allow you to listen but not transmit, so listening only is your only option. Bear in mind, you'll need a 12v power supply and an antenna to get it to work.
Oh, and OFCOM have a section whose job is to track down illegal operators, including dodgy taxi radios, pirate radio stations, over powered hams and irresponsible marine users!
If you have a fleet of commercial fishing boats in your area, dont expect to hear any voice procedure you'll be able to use in public, or even allow the wife/kids to hear!
To be honest, the standard of voice procedure is very poor anyway, so maybe best to concentrate on training notes!!
Regards Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts