World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi what if...say you put your boat in for service and while it is in the care of the mechanic it get damaged .another boat ***** it on a mooring that the mechanic put it on to await a new part 1/ who is responsible for the damage..2/who is responsible to repair/pay for it 3/ what should the damaged boat owner do as the boat is still with the mechanic ...cheers a very upset andy

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hold the mechanic responsible for it all, let him sort out with the other boat if he wants.

AL ..

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi a foot long 3" wide mark in the side of the hull dont know yet wether the hulls cracked and turned over the rear corner cracked grp and pushed down the rubbing strip a tidy old smack the chappie who done it phoned to tell me he had done it and was most apologetic said first time using the boat control got stuck ? am i jinxed or what and with this and what else has happen and im yet to use the boat now i am really looking forward to going out to sea i think not and now again im thinking ..its no wonder im so over cautious who wouldnt be cheers andy ps will get some piccies of damage to show you

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You say mechanic? Do you mean a professional marine engineer with his own business? Or a cash in hand bloke that does repairs on the side?

In the first case the guy will?should have full liability insurance to cover his clients goods whilst in his hands.
In the second case he may be responsible but unable to pay for the damage and it is pointless to go for a county court judgment against him as he is 'pot less'

So what to do. If Your boat was in te hands of a proper regestered engineer with full liability third party insurance then you go for him as the boat was under his care and in law he owes you 'A duty of care'. Any disclaimers saying they are not responsible for loss or damage whilst goods are in their hands are *******s and not applicable in law.

If the mechanic is a one man band with no insurance then go directly for the man who hit you.
You will need his name and address
His boats name
His insurance company and policy number
And an estimate from a regestered boat repairer for the repair to your boat

IMO I would get all these details anyway.

ONce you have them write to BOTH the mechanic and the other party holding them responsible for you costs, and await response from both parties.

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi the marine engineer who has my boat is the one highly recommend to me as is apparently a proper engineer i have his card and is a main service agent for some outboards my outboard is having a service and new impelor and was sitting on a visitors berth with the leg down and no prop on it when i went to look at the damage did not see the engineer will speek to him when i get the call to say its ready cheers andy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
hi the marine engineer who has my boat is the one highly recommend to me as is apparently a proper engineer i have his card and is a main service agent for some outboards my outboard is having a service and new impelor and was sitting on a visitors berth with the leg down and no prop on it when i went to look at the damage did not see the engineer will speek to him when i get the call to say its ready cheers andy

Then IMO the mechanic (his company) is the primary claiment on the other boat as the mechanics insurance will cover him for damage to boats under his duty of care. This being the case he should claim the cost of your repair off the man who hit your boat.
If the man who hit you has no insurance then it is down to the mechanis insurance.
You may be pressured to claim of your insurance with all sorts of reasons like " It's Quicker" "We aren't responsible for boats left with us". My advice is to resist any of this sort of twaddle.

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi thanks for the advice i will definatly persue the mechanics insurance route as he is well known in the area im sure he would not want any bad publicity over it i feel pretty agreveied by it having not use the boat yet im beginning to think that boating is certainly not worth the hassle either on land or at sea as for what little use it gets and the return you get for you efforts at sea as i went out with my mate in his pilot for its first time on the water saturday its was hard work went out of newhaven harbour at 8.30 great sea conditions went 5 miles out from beachy head caught only a couple of doggies and a small codling out there went back inshore to fish in front of cuckmere haven nothing so for the last hour we trolled plugs for a couple of garfish fun day but ultimately disappoining cheers andy

G

·
Andy

Seriously mate, lighten up and enjoy it.
The whole experience is full of joys and frustrations and believe me, you only need one top trip a year to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Your boat will cost you money and cause you frustrations. It will annoy the hell out of you and sometimes you'll wonder why the hell you have it for the few times you use it.
That is boating, BUT the one magical trip out.....

Enjoy and stop being so uptight! It's had a bash, thats what insurance is for, ideally someone elses!

Tom

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
hi thanks for the advice i will definatly persue the mechanics insurance route as he is well known in the area im sure he would not want any basd publicity over it i feel pretty agreveied by it having not use the boat yet im beginning to think that boating is certainly not worth the hassle either on land or at sea as for what little use it gets and the return you get for you efforts at sea as i went out with my mate in his pilot for its first time on the water saturday its was hard work went out of newhaven harbour at 8.30 great sea conditions went 5 miles out from beachy head caught only a couple of doggies and a small codling out there went back inshore to fish in front of cuckmere haven nothing so for the last hour we trolled plugs for a couple of garfish fun day but ultimately disappoining cheers andy
Not being funny Andy, but after following your posts, i'm tending now to agree with you and maybe a boat just isn't for you, every problem you get, you want to give up and don't want the hassle, which is fair enough if that's how you really feel, i do really dread to think how you will panic when you get a problem at sea, which one day will undoubtedly happen.

Maybe time to really think hard if it is SERIOUSLY for you.

All the best mate.

AL ..

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi many thanks i have had doubts all along about boating and now i think its come to the crunch literally .. maybe its preordained and im not supposed to have one does anyone really have the probs i am having without putting to sea ,moorings engine misfire waiting so long impellor gone crashes etc constant doubts struggle with my mind over safety time to call it quits an expensive lesson in.. your not suppose to have one..i have only had the boat 4 weeks blimey what comes next .. i suppose i should have know it would not be plain sailing with my track record in my personal life hay ho .andy

G

·
Think of a boat a bit like a very sexy (or otherwise) materialistic woman.

She looks great on your arm and can sometimes give enormous pleasure, but will cost you money and be potentially dangerous.

Couldn't be without one myself.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what i was thinking is that i might just get shot of it and cut my losses i can always sell the outboard as it will be just serviced with a new impellor mmm might do that just looked at simpsons web site they have a nice sea trooper.. i think i should have waited like i was going to do in the first place .. hindsight is a good thing seeing beyond the end of my nose might help to cheers folk i will stop whinging now a really fed up andy i suppose it does get better

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Hey Andy. I'm feeling for you chap! It really doesnt seem fair. But the alternative is back to Hove beach.......:uhuh: I reckon you should keep at it. Remember the fishemans legend, "IF the sea wants you, it will have you" Thats ten miles off or Hove beach!

(Not really sure if that is a legend or if I saw it on Perfect Storm" or something!)

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
andy have you ever considered tabe tennis:)

only joking mate stick with it, its well worth it, mph1954 got a boat and we had a few problems getting it to the water, but it been there 2 months now and every trip been enjoyable never the same as we planned but always finished with happy faces:yeah::yeah::yeah:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Think of a boat a bit like a very sexy (or otherwise) materialistic woman.

She looks great on your arm and can sometimes give enormous pleasure, but will cost you money and be potentially dangerous.

Couldn't be without one myself.
That's it pretty well summed up Tom :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
311 Posts
make sure there are no signs saying boats left or moored at owners risk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
make sure there are no signs saying boats left or moored at owners risk
Even if there are they have no standing in law. You see these 'At your risk' signs in dry cleaners too. The are toot!

A business has a 'duty of care' that they can not get out of with any sort of disclaimer.

Afishionado

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Even if there are they have no standing in law. You see these 'At your risk' signs in dry cleaners too. The are toot!

A business has a 'duty of care' that they can not get out of with any sort of disclaimer.

Afishionado
Hehe just what i was about to say mate :)

AL ..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts