World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Amazing what a cup of coffee can do. over years I have strenuously stated I would never go to Norway, as the thought of catching cod while afloat , one after the other doesn't float my boat. Sorry, but that's the way it is.
After a chat week before last ,with a lad who has been a few times, the thought of shore fishing and not necessarily only for cod, set the ball rolling. Fast forward a week

And we arrived in a fairly chilly Bodo, and picked up the car. 25 mins later and we were ensconced in an apartment a few miles away wondering what the **** we had let ourselves in for?
Following three days ,fishing in and around the harbour, we had coalies over 12lb, small cod, and a couple of lovey haddock to 6-14. great fun for the Wife who thought it much better than catching doggies and pout

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Days 4/5 lad who lives there [Simon Smith] came with us and offered a bit of local advice, First day was probably the worst, both fish wise and especially the weather.
Of course the wife would say that, as she struggled spinning, due to the topography of the bottom.
Me on the other hand thought it was great

the 5th and last day pretty much surpassed anything we could have hoped for , Jayne had cod to 11+, 5 more lovely haddock and coalies she lost count of, and not small either , a lot of 4-5lb fish which on light gear had her sweating even in -4'c
I left it fairly late ,but saved the best for last

With the exception of the haddocks[yum] and 2 cod too badly hooked, ALL the fish were returned, even the two halibut I had which really pleased me as it meant Jayne could just keep fishing.
All in all, a brilliant time

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Bet it wont be the same spinning for bass and Pollack in the channel islands now you've experienced Norway! Great report and pictures.

·
Registered
478 Posts
great report and some clonking fish,i would love to target them coalies,was all this done diy?and all from the shore?how does a 5lb coalie compare to a 5lb bass?they have some serious salmon fishing there to,but at serious prices.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
great report and some clonking fish,i would love to target them coalies,was all this done diy?and all from the shore?how does a 5lb coalie compare to a 5lb bass?they have some serious salmon fishing there to,but at serious prices.
A coalie knocks the hell out of a bass, even on heavy gear.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
We'll done both of you some cracking fish simon is a decent bloke and has plenty of experience on the fishing over there myself and some friends spoke to simon last year as we had a trip to skjervoy plan and he gave me a few tips on the halibut fishing .

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The idea came about over a cuppa. and took 8 days to organise.
All the fishing was from shore, and Mrs Jsy thought that while a decent cod was a heavy bag of spuds that kicked, a decent haddock was fun , a decent coalie was ,and I quote " bloody hard "
Think I would prefer the coalie? as even a smaller one gives a very good account of its self

G

·
great report and pics, some lovely fishing there. cod on the lures are great fun, but the coalies are top dogs . wouldn't mention bass in the same sentence when it comes to a scrap on the same gear where coalies are concerned.
cheers rab

1 - 19 of 19 Posts