World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off to Butlins Bognor Regis on a family trip next week and am considering taking a spinning rod and some lures. I'll likely be able to get an evening or few early morning starts to pop to the beach and try my luck.

After a check on google maps, my plan was to walk along the beach a bit before high tide and have a few casts along each groyne to see what's there. There's also an outlet that looks promising and a patch of mixed ground about 1000m east that might be worth a few casts.

Does anyone have any local knowledge they're willing to share?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
462 Posts
West Witterings just up the ways have threw up some small ones earlier in the season - same for Pagham harbour on the seaward end - (Waders although not essential, will help).. otherwise a nose up Chichester harbour. Not directly on the doorstep but not a million miles away either.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@chassinBass - we camp in Scotts farm quite often over summer, so I'm familar with that area. The beach at Bognor looks very similar to East Wittering, which I've found only to be worthwhile near the top of the tide.

The small river outlet there looks interesting though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@chassinBass - we camp in Scotts farm quite often over summer, so I'm familar with that area. The beach at Bognor looks very similar to East Wittering, which I've found only to be worthwhile near the top of the tide.

The small river outlet there looks interesting though.
Fished Boggers a few times on baits and didn't win me other then and doesn't have that lure appeal for me, largely featureless from what I recall.. closest beach that I'd try is Selsey... Bracklesham low up would be another or as mentioned Pagham harbour.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Thameside I had a couple of sessions. Both times in the dark from about 2-3 hours before high tide up to high. Went out of butlins and headed east (away from the pier) on the recommendation of the guy in the local tackle shop.

First session I walked about 1km East to some rough ground (take a look on Google maps) and tried to fish that as the tide covered it. Had too much weed to fish, so walked back west until I found some clear water. Ended up spending most of the time using surface lures over the top of the rocky groynes. Didn't catch anything.

Second session was just heading to the rocky groynes and casting some soft plastics around them. A few casts either side of each one then move on. Again nothing.

I found a lot of weed both times, that cleared up as the tide came in further. Both nights were calm with a bright full moon. Might be better if there's a bit more movement and less light (best would probably be a high tide a few hours after dusk / dawn so you could fish the rising tide as the light changed.

Don't think there's much lure fishing around low tide without some serious wading.

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
caught my first ever sea fish on bognor pier
a 7lb bass
48 odd years later still chasing the bloody things lols

1 - 9 of 9 Posts