World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not a cooking tip!

The other day I went out to a local mark in my Dinghy. Didn't catch anything there - even though my fishfinders' screen was black with fish (I am the world's worst fisherman!)

However on the way back I saw a basker, and several areas of boiling sea where shoals of maccy had their heads virtually out of the water. I used my feathers, cast a sand eel pattern right through em, tried plugs, tried smaller silver feathers - nothing! they just weren't interested. I even tried driving through them and using my landing net! :unsure: :uhuh: Eventually I caught a nice pollock for tea.

They were obviously too busy feeding on the plankton that the basker was feeding on.

Last year I saw the same thing, also when there was baskers in the area. The same result.

Any advice? I loves a nice maccy!

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Perhaps they werent mackerel ? In Sussex at the moment for the last week or so some places have seen fish boiling on the surface, jumping out clear of the water, huge shoals of fish - but these fish have been mullet.

Would have thought if they were mackerel you would have caught a few ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure they were maccy. Got a good look at the head of a few and they deffo weren't mullet, or pollock.

Last year's sigting was definitely maccy - the weather was much brighter and I could see em clearly.

Next time I'm going to take a hand grenade or a massive throwing net!:idea:

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Again in Sussex once the mackerel first turn up they dont respond to feathers very well. We catch more on float fished small mackerel strips.

Keep trying as if they are mackerel you'll soon catch **** loads

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
as soon as i read this mullet came to mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!! but seems you said it was defo maccy ,maccy it is

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Reminded me of the Holy Loch last year. Mackeral skimming the plankton from the surface - even inside the marina.
Only way to get them was with strings of tiny flies - the hooks about size 10.
I was tied up on the marina pontoon dangling the hooks just at the back of the boat. Great fun:)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
had the same thing at lundy bay last year ,3 basking sharks & millions of macky , didnt want what i had on offer though:uhuh:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah! Caught some maccy last night. on black feathers. The weather had got up and no baskers in sight. The maccy were right down the bottom in the mouth of the Fowey.

Have got em marinating in my Gravad-Max recipie - God's own food!

:clap2: :clap3: :clap2: :clap3: :clap2: :clap3::boat: :1a: :fish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts