World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This week my plan was to test the Clyde , actually with not much expectation , however with some reasonable mild weather , Marcos , Glen and I went .
We choose Gourock , right across the Gantocks , one of the best cod ground back in the days .
Finding an easy launch spot was not easy , eventually we managed in the heart of the town . Today's tactic is light , Lrf rod , 4lb fluorocarbon and some tiny lures .
We paddled
CLYDE 4-2354.jpg
CLYDE 3-2340.jpg
CLYDE 8-2376.jpg
CLYDE 7-2363.jpg
CLYDE 6-2361.jpg
CLYDE 5-2357.jpg
away somehow sheltered from the light westerly wind . Dropshotting and slowly drifting I soon registered a massive tug . I knew I was in the zone . The next cast was even more rewarding with a fine pollock .
I then had my hook straighten .
Every so often the ferry boat would create a massive wave , adding a little spice , although we did stay stable on our kayaks . Glen and Marcos were enjoying the species tied on some buoys , even caught a mackerel .
We then fished altogether looking for some more pollock , slowly drifting close in . I stopped counting after a while , that good that was . The dead Clyde turned out to be alive .
We finished our day fishing the bay looking for more species . Still on the lrf rod working some baited sabiki we started to nail some mackerel . The whiting , small codling , baby haddock even flat fish were all on the species list . And so we went back to the town with an interesting day to remember .
On a more serious note . Lrf , Light rock fishing Rocks . With fine tuning those flimsy rods can take a pounding . Although a fine day on the water always be aware of the massive wave a ferry boat can create . Enjoy the photos , watch the video and tight lines all .

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well done lads. Look like a great sesh thanks for sharing

·
Registered
512 Posts
great report and pictures there, thanks for sharing. its always great seeing reports that show the clyde still produces fish, ive found this on a good few clyde marks but dont tend to report it. cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great report as usual and fantastic video.....Thanks. Just a question for all those who fish the Clyde and anyone else who may be reading this and knows the answers. I fish the east coast of England and have done so for 30 odd years and during all those winter seasons quite occasionally we get an influx of mini Cod some 6-8 inches long. We always look at this as good news because most of the time these fish return the following year weighing around 1lb-1.5lb the year after that 2lb-4lb ect ect. Although the numbers decrease year on year they grow and return. Now you may have guessed my next question but with so many 5-6 inch Codling and Haddock in the Clyde why dont they seem to grow to fish of 2lb plus in good numbers as surely they must eat and grow to be able to breed and produce the constant batch of these 5-6-inch fish. I'm totally baffled by this as i'm sure many of you guys are. Looking forward to your possible reasons as to why this is.....bone.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Great report as usual, always great having a session on the pollack.
Stick to the rough ground marks and the reefs as it's the only ground the trawlers won't risk their gear on.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Willie

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I'm no expert, but the Clyde is the most trawled area in the uk.
The ground is constantly getting churned up, food like prawns, flatties, juvenile fish, crustaceans, roe etc are getting caught as by catch.
Cod are spawning at a smaller size now, than they used to.
The smaller cod and haddock are becoming bait for the likes of whiting in the Clyde.
There needs to be enough food to keep your resident cod in an area, normally kelpies as the trawlers won't trawl over rough kelpie ground.

Cheers willie

Great report as usual and fantastic video.....Thanks. Just a question for all those who fish the Clyde and anyone else who may be reading this and knows the answers. I fish the east coast of England and have done so for 30 odd years and during all those winter seasons quite occasionally we get an influx of mini Cod some 6-8 inches long. We always look at this as good news because most of the time these fish return the following year weighing around 1lb-1.5lb the year after that 2lb-4lb ect ect. Although the numbers decrease year on year they grow and return. Now you may have guessed my next question but with so many 5-6 inch Codling and Haddock in the Clyde why dont they seem to grow to fish of 2lb plus in good numbers as surely they must eat and grow to be able to breed and produce the constant batch of these 5-6-inch fish. I'm totally baffled by this as i'm sure many of you guys are. Looking forward to your possible reasons as to why this is.....bone.

·
Registered
826 Posts
hi bone,the answer like neptunes says is massive destruction of the clyde due to destructive trawling methods,last week I watched 5 trawlers churning up an area of not much more than 1 square mile on an area called the skelmorlie bank which used to be alive with cod at this time of year.I look forward to the day when these guys fish themselves out of a job because of their selfish ,greedy attitude and lack of interest in any form of conservation.jim

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Totally agree Jim, here's an old map from the 60s/70s showing the major boat marks in our area of the Clyde.
It's a shadow of its former self, I remember back in the mid 80s big bags of cod being landed at a well known mark between ardrossan and seamill.
That was in the summer!
image.jpeg

At one time these marks were like gold dust, now the Clydes wrasse, pollack, small codling, small haddock and whiting.

Cheers willie
hi bone,the answer like neptunes says is massive destruction of the clyde due to destructive trawling methods,last week I watched 5 trawlers churning up an area of not much more than 1 square mile on an area called the skelmorlie bank which used to be alive with cod at this time of year.I look forward to the day when these guys fish themselves out of a job because of their selfish ,greedy attitude and lack of interest in any form of conservation.jim

·
Registered
826 Posts
aye, all the well known marks are there Willie you could go over any of these marks and be guaranteed good fishing ,I remember around the cumbraes was alive with spurdog and the gantocks too,as well as plenty of cod on the skelmorlie bank there were some cracking plaice,best we had was around 4lb. ach well at least we experienced it.jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
About three years ago, the Rhu Narrows was so alive with small codling, you could have filled a bucket with them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to stick around when they grow larger.

Hopefully, those Pollack will grow to the sort of size we used to get, when 10lb line wasn't enough!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts