World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fishing books or an article, (magazine or internet etc) have you read that made you stop and think?:g:

One that made you make a radical change to the way you fished and why? :)

I wasn't sure if books on freshwater should qualify as this is a Sea forum, but if there is an application or a reasoning that can be applied to the Salt I guess that would be OK?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Arthur Cove's book/articles on nymph fishing,completely changed the way I fished both for flyfishing and coarse/sea fishing,it made me think about how fish feed.

·
Banned
400 Posts
the Bob Church book im reading now. its total pants and almost completely useless. its changed the way I will buy fishing books if nothing else.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Bob Church book im reading now. its total pants and almost completely useless. its changed the way I will buy fishing books if nothing else.
What's the title of it? He has written a few.

:) How has it changed the way you will buy fishing books? :)
That's an odd turn of phrase. . :g: :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Sea Angling with the Specimen Hunters - edited by Hugh Stoker.
Hugh had a great attitude towards sea fishing and wrote many articles himself. He came across as incredibly self-sufficient and could get both sport and food from the sea.
In this book he pulled together words of wisdom from the best experts of that time: Nigel Forrest, Spencer Vibart, Reg Quest, Des Brennan, Peter Grundel and quite a few others.
Apart from carbon fiber improving some rods there is very little new to add by todays publications.
Book published 1977:fishing:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sea Angling with the Specimen Hunters - edited by Hugh Stoker.
Hugh had a great attitude towards sea fishing and wrote many articles himself. He came across as incredibly self-sufficient and could get both sport and food from the sea.
In this book he pulled together words of wisdom from the best experts of that time: Nigel Forrest, Spencer Vibart, Reg Quest, Des Brennan, Peter Grundel and quite a few others.
Apart from carbon fiber improving some rods there is very little new to add by todays publications.
Book published 1977:fishing:
I had to go into your profile to check your age! You see I remember all these guys vivadly myself.
I guess then you will remember? Glive Gammon, Digger Derrington, Ian Gillespie, John darling and more from that time?

All great sea angling writers and innovators.

I agree on the last part. It is mostly all a variation on an old theme.
Just bought my first fishing mag of the year. Boat Fishing.
Lots of how too and not a lot of doing anything new.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Cant find or remember the name of the book but it was written by Bernard Venables
(spelling ? ) and had a section in it about catching swordfish off Sesimbra in Portugal.

Next in line would have to be either Blue Water Big Fish or Offshore Gamefishing, both written by Arthur Goadby :) :)

Bernard Venebles??????? eeeek ! be going on about Mr Crabtree next, getting old.

:g: :giveup:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I had to go into your profile to check your age! You see I remember all these guys vivadly myself.
I guess then you will remember? Glive Gammon, Digger Derrington, Ian Gillespie, John darling and more from that time?

All great sea angling writers and innovators.

I agree on the last part. It is mostly all a variation on an old theme.
Just bought my first fishing mag of the year. Boat Fishing.
Lots of how too and not a lot of doing anything new.
I knew Ian Gillespie quite well and Nigel Forrest. Was lucky enough to win a weekends fishing in Denmark where our expert 'guide' was Leslie Moncrief (Hardy Longbow designer).
All of these guys were promoting the move to lighter more sporting tackle.
Hugh Stoker did a lot of lure fishing, well ahead of his time.
Before that most shore fishing was using 'burma poles'.
Ian wrote a lot about 'bare bones beachcasters' and chronicled the stages in designing the 'Breakaway' casting weight.
I see a lot of evidence things have slipped in the last few years. Rods are getting too powerful - just high-tec versions of the Burma pole of over 40 years ago.
Think it was Creel magazine that had sections for sea, coarse & game fishing.
Swapping ideas from one branch of our sport is not a bad thing.
Yup, showing my age - 3 of the four guys just mentioned are deceased. Think Nigel had a close call a couple of years back.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew Ian Gillespie quite well and Nigel Forrest. Was lucky enough to win a weekends fishing in Denmark where our expert 'guide' was Leslie Moncrief (Hardy Longbow designer).
All of these guys were promoting the move to lighter more sporting tackle.
Hugh Stoker did a lot of lure fishing, well ahead of his time.
Before that most shore fishing was using 'burma poles'.
Ian wrote a lot about 'bare bones beachcasters' and chronicled the stages in designing the 'Breakaway' casting weight.
I see a lot of evidence things have slipped in the last few years. Rods are getting too powerful - just high-tec versions of the Burma pole of over 40 years ago.
Think it was Creel magazine that had sections for sea, coarse & game fishing.
Swapping ideas from one branch of our sport is not a bad thing.
Yup, showing my age - 3 of the four guys just mentioned are deceased. Think Nigel had a close call a couple of years back.
Yes I was a big fan of Ian Gillespies writing. He was a teacher I think?
There is a story about Les Moncrief visting our club that I posted some time back on the forum. Worth a search for it.
You will obviously remember "ANGLING" magazine then. Creel may have turned into that? That had a bit of everything in it . Not just sea angling. Always a good read.
There was a chap who's surname I can't remember. First name was Alan ........
He was the first person I ever remember talking/writing about pirk fishing. He talked about the Norewegians using them. They called them "imelbinkers" or something like that.
Would you know his surname? I'm sure it began with a P?

·
Banned
115 Posts
Fisherman by Anthony Pearson - best angling book ever written IMHO. I leant it to a policeman called Dave Conner or Corner a few years back while tenching over at Ryemeads near Ware. I've never seen him or the book since. If anyone knows him please tell him I'd like it back please (p.m. appreciated)! He was a bailiff at RMC Stanstead Abbots fishery (esp Abbots Lake) and liked bait boats if this helps anybody place him.

I know a good place - Clive Gammon - although I wish he had given us a proper account of his shore fishing recollections.

And of course the two Bass books - Ladle & Vaughan - and the late great John Darling.

But there is a shortage of quality sea writing compared to the ocarse and game fraternity don't you think?

T.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fisherman by Anthony Pearson - best angling book ever written IMHO. I leant it to a policeman called Dave Conner or Corner a few years back while tenching over at Ryemeads near Ware. I've never seen him or the book since. If anyone knows him please tell him I'd like it back please (p.m. appreciated)! He was a bailiff at RMC Stanstead Abbots fishery (esp Abbots Lake) and liked bait boats if this helps anybody place him.

I know a good place - Clive Gammon - although I wish he had given us a proper account of his shore fishing recollections.

And of course the two Bass books - Ladle & Vaughan - and the late great John Darling.

But there is a shortage of quality sea writing compared to the ocarse and game fraternity don't you think?

T.
Unfortunately have not read the book, but Pearson it was!:clap3:

Been there done it. NEVER LEND BOOKS! Happy to borrow them though!:)

Just what we have been discussing. Fishing writing in the Sea Angling press just now is very poor stuff. Why?:g:

I did read in another thread http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130&page=2&highlight=dumbing+down
that those magazine surveys they do so they can target the reader audience, showed that sea anglers were of the lowest sochoeconomic group. A bit distastfull I feel - but is that one of the reasons they are so bad? Dumbing down?

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cant find or remember the name of the book but it was written by Bernard Venables
(spelling ? ) and had a section in it about catching swordfish off Sesimbra in Portugal.

Next in line would have to be either Blue Water Big Fish or Offshore Gamefishing, both written by Arthur Goadby :) :)

Bernard Venebles??????? eeeek ! be going on about Mr Crabtree next, getting old.

:g: :giveup:
That's it Peter hold back the float a bit.......just touch the reel rim gently.......Just hold it were the undercut of the bank is...............:)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes I was a big fan of Ian Gillespies writing. He was a teacher I think?
There is a story about Les Moncrief visting our club that I posted some time back on the forum. Worth a search for it.
You will obviously remember "ANGLING" magazine then. Creel may have turned into that? That had a bit of everything in it . Not just sea angling. Always a good read.
There was a chap who's surname I can't remember. First name was Alan ........
He was the first person I ever remember talking/writing about pirk fishing. He talked about the Norewegians using them. They called them "imelbinkers" or something like that.
Would you know his surname? I'm sure it began with a P?
Cannot remember the 'pirking' guy.
Apparently the Japenese have recently invented high speed pirking.
Strange - a south coast skipper described this method of casting a pirk over wreck marks and reeling it in as fast as possible to catch large coalfish.
Think his name was Ernie McVicar ..... or was it Eric.
This was about 1970.
Touch of regression here!
Perhaps we should have a forum for the 'over 50's'

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure it was Alan Pearson that wrote about the pirking?

I'll fill In why I was asking a bit later. Got to get some work done!

·
Banned
115 Posts
Anthony Pearson was a Hull lad who went on to become a journalist with the then Manchester Guardian. He fished extensivley around the world but wrote in detail about Holderness, Wales and Irish bassing.

He was one of the very few writers ever IMHO who could actually convey the feeling of what it means to be a fisherman. His style makes much lauded writers like Bailey and Yates seem like school boy English Lit essays in comparison.

As well as my much missed 'Fisherman' he also published 'Successful Shore Fishing' in 1967, which thankfully I still have. In it he features the 'prism shaped spinning baits' referred to in another post and claims to have used them for shore codding with some success. A number of double figure Welsh and Irish Bass feature in the text as does the legendary Des Brennan.

He appeared to just vanish in the early '70's. If anyone could shed any light on what became of him, I for one would certainly be interested to know?

Cheers, T

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anthony Pearson was a Hull lad who went on to become a journalist with the then Manchester Guardian. He fished extensivley around the world but wrote in detail about Holderness, Wales and Irish bassing.

He was one of the very few writers ever IMHO who could actually convey the feeling of what it means to be a fisherman. His style makes much lauded writers like Bailey and Yates seem like school boy English Lit essays in comparison.

As well as my much missed 'Fisherman' he also published 'Successful Shore Fishing' in 1967, which thankfully I still have. In it he features the 'prism shaped spinning baits' referred to in another post and claims to have used them for shore codding with some success. A number of double figure Welsh and Irish Bass feature in the text as does the legendary Des Brennan.

He appeared to just vanish in the early '70's. If anyone could shed any light on what became of him, I for one would certainly be interested to know?

Cheers, T
That's the correct name T. Good for you.
The guy was a brilliant writer.
I remember reading his articles around 64/5 in my teens, And one of his articles on these norwegian pirks fired me up and remember making some home made ones from a chrome car door handle.

The Firth of Clyde and the sea lochs as you know were full of big cod then. Herring were prolific too. Pirking was a deadly tactic.

I never got round to trying them from the shore, but I'm sure it would have worked well as the shorefishing was something else then.

So where did he go? That's an odd one. A post in the general section might throw up some info?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts