1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...
Advice Or opinions please....
I need a pair of winter boots for the boat. Not wellington type
I've had the Mustad ones, so Im thinking of them, but also Vass Velcro ones.
Has anyone tried the above .
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve just bought a pair of vass Velcro boots, haven’t used them yet but they seem pretty well made. If you go for these get a size larger, I’m a 10 but bought an 11 which fit really well. A size 10 would have been too tight especially with thick socks on. Hope this helps . AL.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve just bought a pair of vass Velcro boots, haven’t used them yet but they seem pretty well made. If you go for these get a size larger, I’m a 10 but bought an 11 which fit really well. A size 10 would have been too tight especially with thick socks on. Hope this helps . AL.
Thanks for the reply...
I'm a size 8, the old Mustad boots I had were 11.. Loads of room for the heat holder sox and not tight! Which would be a real killer when it comes to cold weather.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got a pair of Sorel Caribou snow boots yesterday. Similar to the picture. I don't know what the Vass or Mustad ones are like. I walked about 8km in them yesterday - they were okay, definitely not dedicated walking boots but better than wellies and fine for a moderate walk to a mark. I took the (replaceable) felt liners out after the walk and they were nice and dry - not drenched with sweat like ice had with thermal wellies before.

They're waterproof (the foot part is encased in rubber with a sealed tounge) and rated to -40. I think they're going to be decent fishing boots but I'll need a few sessions before I can say for sure.

They're slightly oversized unless you're wearing thick socks but then you can wear thick socks without them pinching. They're pretty chunky - normal trousers won't go over them but I think anything that goes over thermal wellies will easy.

Definitely not cheap but I got some that were a few seasons old off Amazon for half price.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all thanks for the reply’s...
the problem is any metal parts on the boot will rust... I’ve seen loads of boots with the rubber foot part that are water proof, but not further up.
I’ve looked at yard boots , equestrian type boots ... these are worth looking at for others and there not too expensive.
But no one seams to do a 3/4 thermal boot for a boa, where you could be sitting for hours.
I’Ve looked st Grubbs snow line... great boot, lots of excellent feedback ....if only the did a shorter version.
Theres a hole in the market for any manufacturer reading this... if you are please use good quality materials, no crap! made cheap sold expensive that fall apart!
Sorry went into rant mode there.
all answers welcome.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im on my 3rd pair of Vass velcro boots, first 2 pairs split at the heel both within 3 months of having them, if 3rd pair does the same then going to get money back. i wouldnt recommend them, the nice fluffy interior goes flat as pancake within no time aswell. They are very comfortable but ribbed heel area is very weak.

Reactions: bob-bob-bob

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks richyic...
after reading other posts on other sites, I must agree with you! sorry to say... another fishing manufacturer that lets us down..
Thank you for all the info guys!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Those vass boots need a additional insole put in them as well, they are rock hard to walk about in. I had a small split above the toe in my pair after little use so not very robust, but I still use them as my dry weather boots as they are so light, good for long treks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I own a pair of vass velcro boots. I mostly use for beach fishing. Lovely and warm and easy to put on.
They do let water in if I go in too deep.
Have worn them boat fishing a couple of times and think they are ideal for that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
many thanks for the reply’s ...
ive now bought a pair of the Imax ones from Weymouth angling very fast delivery ordered Sunday night here Tuesday... over sized so I can get a pair of heat holders in...
nice boot!
shame nobody takes this up and make a quality boot....
thanks again all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts