World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow anglers, as the weather was fantastic today I decided to play the wag from work and head up to St Abbs after those big boy ballans that are normally pretty prolific up there, however today turned into a day of two halves with the first half being pretty frustrating. :cry: And the second half a tidy session that gave me a glimmer of hope that all is not lost yet up there. :happy:

I hit my usual mark under the lighthouse but as pre-warned by other anglers it looks like this mark has seen quite a few visitors over the summer and a quick look around the rock revealed a fair bit of discarded rubbish. :cry:
I always thought that this spot which was until now a favourite of mine would be safe, as it's hard to access, but it seems over the course of the summer it's been wiped clean of any decent fish and is now a shadow of it's former self. In four hours I managed one small wrasse and a myriad of titchy coalfish! I could take no more, so moved!

It's been on my mind for quite sometime to walk the cliffs around here, looking for other spots that rarely see any fishing at all, and after a good couple of hours searching, a new and unfished spot was found.

In three hours here I had around 20b of fish before leaving as the tide was going to cut me off.

Some nice wrasse just under 4lb

Had a few around 3lb also that made my day.

A new pb to...........not one I really want though, quite a sad
looking bullhead of 1lb 5 ounces. I once caught a cod up here that had engulfed a small bullhead that took my bait, the cod ate the bullhead and became snared on the bullheads spines, very nasty. :eek:hmy:

Codling on the float!

And a nice pollack that gave a good old scrap. All fish were caught while floatfishing, I did put a second rod out bottom fishing but had no interest at all.

Turned out pretty good in the end! Tightlines, Dave. Oh! and all fish were returned. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
nice days fishing that mate and quality pics ,its the same over here for wrasse ,the popular areas seem to end yup with only smallones by the end of the summer ,and if you get a mark thats lightly fished for them it tensds to produce mostly quality fish.
dont know about you ,but this is my favourite month for the better ones.
i spoke to a couple of lads from down your way earlier in the year and they reckoned they found a mark that was over a mile away from the nearest car parking down there ,very deep water and they were getting quality wrasse like yours along with cod to 8lb and good pollack ,didnt say where it was mind !
cheers rab

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
nice sesh,some crackin fish.that scorpion looks ill tho,never seen one that thin :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck John, on your fishing expedition, I love it up at Etive but it's such a long drive. It'll probably be March next year when I get back up as this is when fishing on my part of the coast is very poor.

I also hate midges and there are none around then. See you up Etive then hopefully. :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.