World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished LW up this morning starting at 5am.

Lovely surf, would have been ideal except for stacks of seaweed smashed up by the recent high seas. Water was rather cloudy too which isn't great to have here.

Still managed 2 dogs and 4 undersize turbot so it wasn't a dead loss! All to sandeel.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
74 Posts
John Mason said:
Fished LW up this morning starting at 5am.

Lovely surf, would have been ideal except for stacks of seaweed smashed up by the recent high seas. Water was rather cloudy too which isn't great to have here.

Still managed 2 dogs and 4 undersize turbot so it wasn't a dead loss! All to sandeel.

Cheers - John
i went and had a look on monday stood by the monument and the sea was well brown....does this clear up pretty fast with calmer seas or does it take a while ?

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there's not been much rain lately so I doubt it's all floodwater. Might be an algal bloom as these can occur at this time of year as the sea warms. Visibility was very poor - normally if knee-deep in the surf you can see your feet, not a hope of that today.

If the weather improves hoping to fish the rocky marks further south instead.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes you get the mackies close in but usually late Summer, high tide at sunset. Seen the sea boiling with 'em sometimes. Off the reef to the south there are deeper water casting positions which can produce well by day at times.

In 2003 they came in close in that hot weather. Some sunsets you could wade out at low tide and see them swimming all around you!

But the weather needs to be settled. They don't like rough conditions.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With neaps, tourists in the water and LW late mornings to early afternoons as we go through the week conditions are not ideal for Borth. I'd try picking a tide towards the end of the week if the weather's overcast. A daytime session might produce a small-eyed ray to sandeel. Schoolies and flounders will fall to worm baits. Small turbot on mackerel strip and sandeel. Dogfish...on anything!

An alternative would be to start at sunset and fish the ebb down. Borth produces quite well on the ebb and fish can be surprisingly close in. But as it's dark, and it's that time of year, you will see an awful lot of dogfish. I find that the other Borth summer species are as happy to feed by day as by night, the vital ingredient being a steady moderate surf. Rough seas are poor and flat calms are awful by day, though they produce rays & dogs at night.

I use a standard 2-hook paternoster. A wishbone rig also works well. Breakaways of 4-5 oz are fine if you want to pin down the bait or if you want to wade and move your bait around a 2-3oz plain bomb will be fine.

Anywhere on the beach produces and the best advice is to walk furthest from car parking by day to avoid the grockles.

Happy hunting!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts