World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on hols to Borth in August, I am just getting back into sea fishing, whats it like around there and is the main beach any good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
Hi Mick,

It depends what time in August you are there really. It does get better towards the end of the month.

Generally talking you will be best fishing early morning or late evening sessions from the beach as the sea'll be full of people in the day. Use fish baits - mackerel/sandeels. Should see dogfish and small-eyed ray if there's a bit of surf about. Bass possible, mostly schoolies. These also take rag. Later in the month a decent turbot might be caught close-in if there's a good surf.

If it's calm aim for LW on biggish tides off the rocks to the south of Borth. Dogfish, bass, ray, small conger all possible but avoid the area if it's rough! Float-fishing for bass using live prawns caught in the rockpools is popular here, although it's most done in May/June. Long casting from the rocks S of the small cove gets you onto sand with a decent depth and here I've caught Greater Weevers and various Gurnards, on baited feathers as you would from a boat. A handy mark if you're looking to up your species tally!

Some years the mackerel come close in, some they don't. Warm settled weather & spring tides a good combo for these.

If the weather's really rough try the Dyfi Estuary half-tide down-half-tide up for schoolies and good flounder. Peeler best as the crabs scoff your ragworms really fast!

Good luck!!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
John Mason said:
Hi Mick,

It depends what time in August you are there really. It does get better towards the end of the month.

Generally talking you will be best fishing early morning or late evening sessions from the beach as the sea'll be full of people in the day. Use fish baits - mackerel/sandeels. Should see dogfish and small-eyed ray if there's a bit of surf about. Bass possible, mostly schoolies. These also take rag. Later in the month a decent turbot might be caught close-in if there's a good surf.

If it's calm aim for LW on biggish tides off the rocks to the south of Borth. Dogfish, bass, ray, small conger all possible but avoid the area if it's rough! Float-fishing for bass using live prawns caught in the rockpools is popular here, although it's most done in May/June. Long casting from the rocks S of the small cove gets you onto sand with a decent depth and here I've caught Greater Weevers and various Gurnards, on baited feathers as you would from a boat. A handy mark if you're looking to up your species tally!

Some years the mackerel come close in, some they don't. Warm settled weather & spring tides a good combo for these.

If the weather's really rough try the Dyfi Estuary half-tide down-half-tide up for schoolies and good flounder. Peeler best as the crabs scoff your ragworms really fast!

Good luck!!

John
hello mate when you say small cove where is that .....do you mean past the monument and by the caravan site of further past ?

I'm actully going to borth tomorrow for a day out and a bit of spinning under the monument on the rocks ......I was on holiday there last year and many a good evening spinning there with plenty of bass around 1lb and loads of garfish that kept following the lure when cast out long but would,nt touch it unless it stripped back as fast as billy'o
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
John Mason said:
Aye, that's the one just S of the memorial.

What lures were you getting the garfish on & at what time of year? Would enjoy a crack at these myself!

Cheers - John
hello mate this is what i caught the garfish on mate toby lure and i was there in the last week of july catching them you had to cast out a fair way to get them though


also the dexter wedge was really good.........whats clarach like for bass John any good ?

and you local to the area ....maybe have a meat up one day and a fish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
derby4life said:
hello mate this is what i caught the garfish on mate toby lure and i was there in the last week of july catching them you had to cast out a fair way to get them though


also the dexter wedge was really good.........whats clarach like for bass John any good ?

and you local to the area ....maybe have a meat up one day and a fish

Hi mate, Clarach is flanked by rocky reefs either side of the bay. I don't fish it often myself but crab ought to bring in bass off the rocks. Night fishing might see plagues of woofers!

When you say a fair cast how far? 50m is a long way to throw a toby lure (either that or I'm crap at casting them LOL!)

Cheers - John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
John Mason said:
Hi mate, Clarach is flanked by rocky reefs either side of the bay. I don't fish it often myself but crab ought to bring in bass off the rocks. Night fishing might see plagues of woofers!

When you say a fair cast how far? 50m is a long way to throw a toby lure (either that or I'm crap at casting them LOL!)

Cheers - John
when I'm spinning i use a fairly light whippy rod 11' long and believe me you can really get a toby flying .....but yeh i suppose 50 odd meters was about the distance maybe more

are there any more areas around there that are worth a visit for bass ?....mainly spinning Iv'e never tried any other method wouldn't no where to start with crabs and terminal tackle

i know there's a shingle bank in between clarach and borth that Iv'e heard about but can't remember the name of it and its hard to get to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
Hi mate, you're talking of Sarn Cynfelyn. It is marked on charts because it goes out to sea about 6 miles. At low tide you can see it from the cliff path N from Clarach, as a long thin strand of boulders heading out many 100s of yds westward on a big Spring Low. Locally known as the Causeway - a connection with an old legend!

About 20 minutes walk from Clarach will find it for you. Again I don't fish it much, but I should! I've boat-fished it all the way out for years and it's a focal point from the boat for black bream and a host of other species. Theoretically, casting sideways off it way out on big Spring lows should find some deepish water. The stones making it up are very slimey underfoot, so beware!

Cheers - John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Having spent the last 7 years going on holiday to Clarach I can confirm that the rocks on the right hand side of the beach are best, but you will have your work cut out trying to get through the dogs!!

However, during the weeks I have fished there it has chucked up some decent bass including a 9lb 14oz specimen on Peeler. Bull huss also feature, but the odds are small bearing in mind the sheer number of dogs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
flipper said:
Having spent the last 7 years going on holiday to Clarach I can confirm that the rocks on the right hand side of the beach are best, but you will have your work cut out trying to get through the dogs!!

However, during the weeks I have fished there it has chucked up some decent bass including a 9lb 14oz specimen on Peeler. Bull huss also feature, but the odds are small bearing in mind the sheer number of dogs!

wow what a clonker of a fish 9lb 14oz.......what a fight that must have been !!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top