World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As rain was forecast I thought that Boscombe Pier was the place to be, there's plenty of shelter from wind and rain. I drove down in torrential rain and managed to hit standing water at speed which disarranged the exhaust system so that it's chuffing like a good'un. Rude words were said, more will be said when I try to crawl underneath to see what is broken.

When I got to the pier the rain had stopped and after a short while the sun decided to peep through and it turned out to be a pleasant day with calm seas and hardly any breeze.

Property Water Handrail Guard rail Fence

The sea was very coloured, presumably by the beach replenishment that's going on there ( vessel behind rod tips ). It didn't seem to bother the fish and I soon had a flounder of about 32cm, a nice plump fish but not on my list. A recent match between the piers had featured small sole, dabs and turbot; they were my targets along with weever and ray which had also been caught recently. There are still plenty of bothersome little whiting to cope with.
I moved out to the end on the SW corner to be out in the sunshine, from there I managed a couple of sizeable plaice and one of the targets, a sole, species No. 23.

Poster Fish Novel Fish Fish meal

Some locals turned up for an onslaught on the bigger stuff, big baits were cast out and fairly soon a young lady was casually winching in a huge undulate, it took the scales to 16lb, an impressive fish. It was good to see it carefully lifted in a drop net and gently returned the same way. They'd obviously done it before. I don't think my flattie rods would have been up to that stamp of fish.

I vacated my corner as my back was playing up and moved back to the seating back on the stem of the pier. The little sole were there too and I had three more along with enough whiting to make it boring catching them. Hunger drove me away at about 6:30pm, I had expected the pier to shut at about 5 but they are now on summer hours so fishing is allowed up to 9:30 and the pier closes at 10.

Just one species ticked off my list but it was a good day out, some interesting people to chat to and some local knowledge regarding turbot stored away for future use.

I've still got some bait left so another trip today is on the cards, I'll probably ignore the exhaust noise. If it does fall off it simplifies the diagnosis no end.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,635 Posts
Well done :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well done cap, seems to be a fair few sole around early this year.
Probably 15 years ago we caught quite a few small brill near boscombe pier one autumn, be interesting if any still
Get caught and misidentified as turbot...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done cap, seems to be a fair few sole around early this year.
Probably 15 years ago we caught quite a few small brill near boscombe pier one autumn, be interesting if any still
Get caught and misidentified as turbot...
The local chap I was chatting to mentioned that he'd caught decent brill from there, they turn up at Swanage too but, as you say, they are probably caught more often but misidentified.

I do like catching sole, they are a stroppy little fish and punch above their weight on a light rod.

·
Registered
94 Posts
nice catches there capt, i was fishing miles east at bistro southbourne from 11.30 to 2 in the afternoon without a bite should have gone to the pier, what bait were you using.

By the what bait and rigs you use for brill and turbot, water was well cloured those vessels were right near to you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same chap had a brill and his mate in the wheel chair had 2 turbots, one of them 2 lb on the nose :) looked yummy !
He did say that the rig the chap in the wheelchair was using was baited to catch 'anything that was out there' but they were expecting turbot.

Were you fishing ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice catches there capt, i was fishing miles east at bistro southbourne from 11.30 to 2 in the afternoon without a bite should have gone to the pier, what bait were you using.

By the what bait and rigs you use for brill and turbot, water was well cloured those vessels were right near to you
The brill I've caught have been on mackerel or gar strip when floatfishing. The chap fishing from the wheel chair was using worm when I was there, I don't know what bait he caught the fish on as he hadn't caught anything when I was there.

I was using ragworm and gar strip, I had hoped the gar would suit a turbot but the whiting loved it and wouldn't leave it alone for long enough for anything else to find it.

The water colour doesn't bother me, or the fish it seems. The fish do OK in the Bristol Channel where it's like that all the time.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well done on the sole cap'n.
I have a soft spot for sole too. They are usually caught when it is dark, or as you found, in coloured water.
All the 'chicken' turbot I have caught in the past have been on mackerel strip or rag/mackerel cocktail.
I think the important bit being that they like to eat other fish. They also have massive mouths, so there is no need to be shy with the bait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rig that I use for most of my fishing is this;

Drawing Line Visual arts Wire Art

The mainline, orange, at top rh corner terminates in a snap swivel. The rig body, yellow, is tied with a snap swivel at one end, loop at the other with another swivel running between two small beads. Hook lengths clip onto each snap swivel if I want two hooks or just the lower if I want a simple running ledger.
On occasions I've clipped on another rig in cascade fashion to make a three hook rig.

I don't know what you call the rig, it's my own idea that's evolved over the years. By tying different lengths of rig and hook lengths you can get quite a variation with the same components. It isn't suitable for long distance casting because it's not 'clipdownable' but then, I'm not one who thinks the fish are all a long way away.
If I'm likely to be float fishing during a session then instead of the simple single snap swivel on the mainline I put on a stop bead and running swivel as well as the end swivel and the rig hangs off that and the top hook clips on the free swivel on the end of the mainline.

The system gives me the facility to float fish, fish running ledger or a 2 hook rig, the changeover takes seconds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE.

After prevaricating most of the day I crawled under the car to see what was broken. I was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised to find that the force of water coming off the wheel had forced about 18" of an aluminium heat-shield onto the exhaust pipe. It was vibration being amplified by the large heatshield that was making the roaring racket. A bit of hauling it back into shape and job's a goodun. None of my swear words were wasted so a full stock is retained for the next yacht driver or jet skier who comes near.

So no fishing today but an early start tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you have to pay on the pier Cap'n?

Looked like a good days fishing off there, i usually have absolutely chaff all and end up going as i get irritated by the locals.
I was waylaid by the surfer dude with the ticket machine, first time ever, as I'm an oldie it cost me £4.50. It's £6.50 now for younger people.
Parking is cheap up on The Marina so it's not an expensive day out.
There can be some irritating locals but they all tend to rush to the end. I usually stay well clear of the end. I'm sure the fish don't grade by size dependant on how far from the shore they are.

It is annoying that millions of pounds were spent/wasted on a reef for surfers who pay nothing to use the facility and angling, for which the council make no provision and has spent nothing, is charged for.
Add on the moronic provision of things for kids to bash to make a racket and the wire anti-jump guard and you have a good fishing venue ruined.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice sole, and a good result on the motor cap'n.
Ta for the report again, and the useful advice on the rigs, always handy. I've gotten lazy of late and tend just to buy pre-made stuff.

Cheers
A

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Well done on the session Capt.,I've just joined the Boscombe pier club as my mate has regular good sized Ray's during the season after dark and I do enjoy jigging for the squid as they do make some tasty eating and bait too....ill be giving it an early species bash soon as have not christened
My membership card as yet.

Gazza

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was waylaid by the surfer dude with the ticket machine, first time ever, as I'm an oldie it cost me £4.50. It's £6.50 now for younger people.
Parking is cheap up on The Marina so it's not an expensive day out.
There can be some irritating locals but they all tend to rush to the end. I usually stay well clear of the end. I'm sure the fish don't grade by size dependant on how far from the shore they are.

It is annoying that millions of pounds were spent/wasted on a reef for surfers who pay nothing to use the facility and angling, for which the council make no provision and has spent nothing, is charged for.
Add on the moronic provision of things for kids to bash to make a racket and the wire anti-jump guard and you have a good fishing venue ruined.
Thanks for selling it lol...i might give somewhere else a bash saturday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well done on the session Capt.,I've just joined the Boscombe pier club as my mate has regular good sized Ray's during the season after dark and I do enjoy jigging for the squid as they do make some tasty eating and bait too....ill be giving it an early species bash soon as have not christened
My membership card as yet.

Gazza
I'd heard that there was a very long waiting list for membership.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Interesting rig idea Cap'n. Do you find the snoods are liable to tangle around the mainline/trace body as there's nothing to make them stand out? I quite often just use a two hook mono paternoster, using blood loops in the trace body with the hook snoods then looped on to those. I usually add a small length of silicon tubing over the blood loop and end of the snood loop, which makes it less prone to tangling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.