World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of friends and I chartered the Lady Nicola out of Boston for a tope trip in the wash. We sailed on Friday in moderate to fresh southwesterly wind which made the sea fairly rough. During the trip we had plenty of makerel and three tope runs.

The first picked up a makerel flapper but dropped it leaving a huge mouth print of its teeth on the bait and the second was lost when the same anglers' shock leader knot snapped a couple of minutes into the fight.

The third fish was hooked by novice angler Ady. I had set up four pals with 25-30lb mono to softish rods and the usual 150lb mono leader to a 10/0 o'shaunessey with the barb squashed. When Ady had the fish on I said 'Whatever you do, do not try and stop it running.' using a bit of experience from fishing for tope in Wales last year. I set his drag so that with light pressure the line would peel off. He played the fish in for around 30 minutes to the side of the boat and during the fight it made four or five gliding runs. However right at the end of the fight Ady was getting tired loosing his patience, he clamped his thumb over the spool in an attempt to drag the fish toward the boat. Big big mistake, the fish wallowed, turned in the tide and the line snapped like a gun shot. Gone.

Ady now wants to come on more boat trips.

Here are some pics:

An early victim of the rough weather

Fish on. A tope runs off with the live makerel bait

Almost there.....a great fight for thirty minutes.

The last glimpse of the tope near to the boat. estimated 35 to 40lb... then disaster... crack!

Back in to port.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello mate have you got your skippers phone number as its always worth having a few numbers in the book for a trip or two or may be three.

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi.
great report.
nice to hear of more productive tope fishing in the wash.

would you please send me the details of the skipper too.
how much does he charge?
many thanks.

simon.
fmanf
:fish:

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
Top stuff yet again Paul..........:punk:

Shame the lack of experience put paid to landing a very nice looking fish...

But we all have to learn eh ?..

He'll do it next time.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
""" the second was lost when the same anglers' shock leader knot snapped a couple of minutes into the fight.""":doh::doh:

The downfall of leader knots

fish 25--30lb straight thru and these things dont happen quite as much.
Nice to know chris is still finding the fish, was ernie on board as well??

krysb

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
""" the second was lost when the same anglers' shock leader knot snapped a couple of minutes into the fight.""":doh::doh:

krysb
I agree. Absolutely no need for leaders on boat. :bangin:

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
I agree. Absolutely no need for leaders on boat. :bangin:

Not even a rubbing leader ?......

forgive my ignorance when it comes to boat fishing,as I have never done it,but from what I have seen on the box,they all use a rubbing leader to stop the coarse texture of the fish damaging the main line do they not ?...
I thought that was as standard a practice as using a shock leader on the beach.........

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Not even a rubbing leader ?......

forgive my ignorance when it comes to boat fishing,as I have never done it,but from what I have seen on the box,they all use a rubbing leader to stop the coarse texture of the fish damaging the main line do they not ?...
I thought that was as standard a practice as using a shock leader on the beach.........
straight running ledger terminating in a swivel & rubber bead
onto said swivel, crimp 6ft 100---150lb mono c/w crimped swivel at the other end
on the other end of swivel crimp 12 inches wire to a 8/0 bronze ( flat barbed hook) ( o shaunessy ) ( i always rough my hooks up slightly with a small file to speed up the rust if they do go all the way down the throat, doesnt hapen very often if you only count to 4 and hit it,
dont wait much longer or it will stop, turn the bait and neck it resulting in very deep hooked fish.

This set up gives the crewman a decent lenght of 150lb mono to play with when getting the fish to the side of the boat and acts a rubbing leader, whilst the fish is thrashing about.

krysb

krysb

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
straight running ledger terminating in a swivel & rubber bead
onto said swivel, crimp 6ft 100---150lb mono c/w crimped swivel at the other end
on the other end of swivel crimp 12 inches wire to a 8/0 bronze ( flat barbed hook) ( o shaunessy ) ( i always rough my hooks up slightly with a small file to speed up the rust if they do go all the way down the throat, doesnt hapen very often if you only count to 4 and hit it,
dont wait much longer or it will stop, turn the bait and neck it resulting in very deep hooked fish.

This set up gives the crewman a decent lenght of 150lb mono to play with when getting the fish to the side of the boat and acts a rubbing leader, whilst the fish is thrashing about.

krysb

krysb

Now I see where it is heading.......sound,thank you for that...

So in essence,the doubled up length of 100-150 lb mono,does the job...

I understand it now..... :thumbs:

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
I get yer................

Top stuff..........:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Top stuff yet again Paul..........:punk:

Shame the lack of experience put paid to landing a very nice looking fish...

But we all have to learn eh ?..

He'll do it next time.
Thanks for the replies, yes Si I learn't over the last couple of years with a few lost tope that you can't hold them back, they can snap the line in a second .

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

krysb
Cheers Krys I don't use shockers on the boat after tope either, for that reason . I set my guys up with exactly that 25lb - 30lb mono to 5ft 150lb and a 10/0 crushed barb o' shaunessy. When the line went crack I looked over and he still had his thumb jammed on the spool and a very sick look on his face. I think he's caught the tope bug though. He wants to get after them again asap.

Ernie's still on board looking after the fishing with the benefit of his experience. Chris couldn't skipper on the day so his mate Mick was standing in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi coalie, any chance of pm'ing me the contact details of the skipper please. It'd be nice to have a charter a little nearer.

regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts