World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to bottom fishing bait from the shore. I don't do sand beaches, all rocks by me.
So far, I make my self comfortable and hold the rod, enjoy the view and anticipation.
I recently had a light bulb moment and thought if I could get something to hold my bait rod whilst waiting for the bite I could carry on spinning or float fishing with another rod. Thus doubling my chances of a catch, and obviously working my chosen area in two different ways at the same time increasing my chances again.
Waffle, waffle, I guess you guys know this already.
Now, I know beach anglers use tripods, but are they suitable for the rocks, ie. adjustable legs etc?

What do you guys do and can you recommend something to me?

Dave.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes you can get tripods with adjustable legs which work well on uneven rock surfaces.

I have found the best way to get a bite on a bottom fished bait is to stop looking at the rod. I believe they use the same principle as a watched kettle never boils.

Some one else once postulated the mono filament line acts like a fibre optic cable resulting in a 360 degree illuminated picture show of the area immediately surrounding the fishing rod being projected on the darker sea bed. Thus allowing the fish to see when you step back to take a pee, open your flask and look away, take your tobacco pouch out and lean back to roll a fat one. At that point usually at least 6 whiting, 4 flatties and a larger fish ( they take it in turns) all rush to have a bite at your bait. This is where the faster whiting who are able to consume a bait 9.8 times larger than there mouth opening usually win the race, snatch your bait swallow it whole and prevent the more desirable larger fish having a nibble .

No seriously just try rolling a ciggi it never fails to make a rod bend .

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
So it doesn't just happen to me then? :laugh:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I got on OK with an adjustable tripod on rock marks in Cornwall. The only thing I will say is that, if you have a bait on the bottom and spin or float fish at the same time, you will get a bite on the bottom bait just as you cast a lure out, leaving you with a dilemma.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I will say is that, if you have a bait on the bottom and spin or float fish at the same time, you will get a bite on the bottom bait just as you cast a lure out, leaving you with a dilemma.
Hmmmmmm, good point.
Although I guess I could stick the float rod in the tripod and deal with the bait rod.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I fish with a tripod all the time mate, often on rocks and have a second or even third rod on the go with float or light gear. You don't need adjustable legs on your tripod to use it on rocks but occasionally it helps. I use the big Ian Gould's one, just make sure its jammed in or weighted as a fall can be catastrophic for your gear!

·
Sea Trout Fan
5,980 Posts
A tripod is one of the best things you will buy for sea fishing. If you plan to use more than one rod in particular it is an essential bit of kit for me.

If you fish from rocks and youre not too bothered about damage to a rod, there will be times when you can wedge a rod butt in a gap in the rocks, thus acting as a rod holder. This can be good, especially if its windy and you want to keep a rod low to avoid gear being blown over and heavily damaged.

Pieces of plastic pipe can also be used to act as a sleeve wedged in the rocks first. Great cos they dont take much carrying to and from marks.

On the tripod thing, as well as weighting it down to make it more stable, you might also be advised to keep the rod tips as low as possible to avoid birds flying into the line if there's any about. That's as well as leaving the clutch set really lightly in case of the bird strike or a big fish taking your bait if the rod's unattended.

Another benefit of a tripod is that you can add on things to them like bait/tool trays and trace hangers to keep all your gear together which is much safer on potentially lethal rocks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... I use the big Ian Gould's one, just make sure its jammed in or weighted as a fall can be catastrophic for your gear!
I saw this one on Veals site and was tempted, I was wondering whether it was worth forking 50 odd quid for a tripod on the rocks or whether I would be wasting my hard earned.

Think I might now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A tripod is one of the best things you will buy for sea fishing. If you plan to use more than one rod in particular it is an essential bit of kit for me.

If you fish from rocks and youre not too bothered about damage to a rod, there will be times when you can wedge a rod butt in a gap in the rocks, thus acting as a rod holder. This can be good, especially if its windy and you want to keep a rod low to avoid gear being blown over and heavily damaged.

Pieces of plastic pipe can also be used to act as a sleeve wedged in the rocks first. Great cos they dont take much carrying to and from marks.

On the tripod thing, as well as weighting it down to make it more stable, you might also be advised to keep the rod tips as low as possible to avoid birds flying into the line if there's any about. That's as well as leaving the clutch set really lightly in case of the bird strike or a big fish taking your bait if the rod's unattended.

Another benefit of a tripod is that you can add on things to them like bait/tool trays and trace hangers to keep all your gear together which is much safer on potentially lethal rocks.
Good advice here, me thinks. A few things I hadn't thought of.
I weep when I scratch my rods...so wedging them in the rocks won't happen. I might try the plastic tube thing though.
Tripod on the shopping list it is then.

Thanks chaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts