World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just booked up for a week in Bournemouth at the end of August. I will be rather restricted as to where I can fish due to not being able to drive (I really should get lessons!) so baiscally I'm looking for any marks in the close proximity of the town.
I've heard the pier can give good sport for gars, bream and maybe the odd smut. I'm very much looking forward to the holiday as the fishing with be markedly different from what I'm used to in Scotland. If anybody could pass on any tips for fishing the area or even fancies meeting up for a trip it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rab

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention does anybody know the opening hours of the pier and how much its costs per day to fish it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rab,

If you are fishing any of the Bournemouth beaches during August, you will be lucky to find a patch of water to cast into. Your best bet would be using size 12/0 hooks with pop ups and cast as far as you can. This is generally the best way of catching the local matchmans favourite - A JETSKIER.

Seriously though, you are better off fishing at night. Try Southbourne for the Turbot. Macky fillet works well. Some good Gars and Macky off the pier. I think this shuts at about 6pm. Another good spot is Poole harbour entrance by the Haven Hotel. Try live sandeel and plugs for some good bass. When you come down, post again and I will try and sort you out with some live sandeel.

Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer Barry and the tips. Will probably stick to the piers most days due to being restricted without a car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the confusion m8.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Rab said:
Hi all,

Just booked up for a week in Bournemouth at the end of August. I will be rather restricted as to where I can fish due to not being able to drive (I really should get lessons!) so baiscally I'm looking for any marks in the close proximity of the town.
I've heard the pier can give good sport for gars, bream and maybe the odd smut. I'm very much looking forward to the holiday as the fishing with be markedly different from what I'm used to in Scotland. If anybody could pass on any tips for fishing the area or even fancies meeting up for a trip it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rab
you said it on your first post on this thread

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your limited to foot, I'd suggest Boscombe pier.
Its about a 30 minute easy walk along the beach front, east of bournemouth centre towards christchurch.
Boscombe pier you dont have to pay for fishing that I know of, not been for a while but I am local now so i'll check.
It also doesnt have boats and as many tourists all over it. Personally i think its the better end for fishining, and i've seen some big bass, mackeral, pollack, and 1 conger up that end. Pretty sure you can fish it till about 11pm when the gates get locked too.

I suggest u pm me a bit nearer the time of your visit, and if im available, i'd be happy to give you a lift to somewhere else, i normally go to mudeford quay, in christchurch, and west bexington on chesil a lot if it will help ya.

AL

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the kind offer, it would be nice to try some other marks rather than just the pier everyday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Barry

I'm based in bournemouth, where do you get your live sand eels from. Would you be able to sort me some out?

I normally fish Park shore, Lepe, Calshot Maggy Lane over southampton way
Or Southbourne (as i used to live overlooking the beach there)
Or down the coast to the west - West Bexington, Burton Bradstock, Seatown

Hope you can help me out

Many Thanks

Steve

Blankin Barry said:
Rab,

If you are fishing any of the Bournemouth beaches during August, you will be lucky to find a patch of water to cast into. Your best bet would be using size 12/0 hooks with pop ups and cast as far as you can. This is generally the best way of catching the local matchmans favourite - A JETSKIER.

Seriously though, you are better off fishing at night. Try Southbourne for the Turbot. Macky fillet works well. Some good Gars and Macky off the pier. I think this shuts at about 6pm. Another good spot is Poole harbour entrance by the Haven Hotel. Try live sandeel and plugs for some good bass. When you come down, post again and I will try and sort you out with some live sandeel.

Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I just thought I would resurrect this post as I will be coming down next Saturday. So if anybody can tell me how the fishing is doing at the minute or anybody fancies meeting up for a trip while I'm down there then that would be great.

Cheers
Rab

·
Registered
158 Posts
you could always jump on a bus or train and then you have the choice of poole quay approx ten mins on train ? bus been a long time since i moved, or you've got weymouth should'nt be tolong try the nothe if you do or if you make it into weymouth a ten minute busdrive will take you to the portland end of chesil some nice bass if i remember.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm based in bournemouth, where do you get your live sand eels from. Would you be able to sort me some out? :confused:

sbdesign hope you dont mind me answering as Barry has tied himself up with a 30ft one up three down sliding pop up pulley long range portsmouth rig :D

you can get your sand eels from Poole quay,the little shed type tackle shop from the far end of the quay,next to the fishermans marina.They have them in old washing machine drums hanging over into the quay,dont know how much they cost though

Or do what i do and use a cast net and catch your own from B'mth pier :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
So Rab was the trip to bournemouth good ? Catch much ?

What about anyone else i just moved right into the town centre just over a week ago and am minutes walk from the peir ! Can't wait to get down there just wanted to know if there's much about and what it's being taken on

cheers

Please excuse me as i am a nOOb

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
smut = smoothound :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts