World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi extremely new to kayak fishing. Looking for some advice on how far to go out (bear in mind I'm a novice)/rigs to use? Should I remain stationary or can you kayak along while rig is trailing?

I know southbourne is producing huge amounts of small plaice and sole with the odd Ray and smoothie. Looking to find out how far I have to go out to start catching the bigger ones and other species.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Hi extremely new to kayak fishing. Looking for some advice on how far to go out (bear in mind I'm a novice)/rigs to use? Should I remain stationary or can you kayak along while rig is trailing?

I know southbourne is producing huge amounts of small plaice and sole with the odd Ray and smoothie. Looking to find out how far I have to go out to start catching the bigger ones and other species.

Thanks
Do you know how to paddle, if not leave the rods at home and learn to paddle first

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello mate I get down Southbourne a fair bit . For the rays i normally anchor in 40ft its easier to tie onto a pot bouy if your new to anchoring. Last Sunday i had 6 undies a thornie and plenty of mackies just by the yellow bouys (down towards hengistbury), there were a few decent plaice coming out to the boats drifting just inside of where i was . Hoping to get down there early Thurs weather permiting

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello mate I get down Southbourne a fair bit . For the rays i normally anchor in 40ft its easier to tie onto a pot bouy if your new to anchoring. Last Sunday i had 6 undies a thornie and plenty of mackies just by the yellow bouys (down towards hengistbury), there were a few decent plaice coming out to the boats drifting just inside of where i was . Hoping to get down there early Thurs weather permiting
How far out do you have to be to be in 40ft of water approx?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with the last comment. Been fishing alot off the shore at southbourne and can catch as many plaice or sole as I'd like however in a kayak tonight half mile out in deep water... BLANK!!!

any tips of rigs? I was just using a basic 3 hook flapper rig with either mackerel or ragworm bait.

·
Registered
865 Posts
How do I know which one the pot bouys are?
Pretty much all the buoys along there are attached to either strings of pots or Gill nets.. You can tie to any of them tho it's best to tie to the one at the down tide end of the string if you can.. Obviously they belong to a fishing boat , if you see the boat working them is in the area working it's best to untie yourself before he either untied you himself or sets more pots over where you are fishing. You can drift anywhere along there for plaice Gurnard etc, and have found that's best done between the abck of the sandbar at a couple hundred yards out to roughly inline with the big yellow marker buoy. Anchoring or tying up is better for the rays etc
A simple running ledger will catch as many fish as anything else and has the advantage of not tangling up wo much particularly if using 2 rods

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the last comment. Been fishing alot off the shore at southbourne and can catch as many plaice or sole as I'd like however in a kayak tonight half mile out in deep water... BLANK!!!

any tips of rigs? I was just using a basic 3 hook flapper rig with either mackerel or ragworm bait.
If your after rays i just use a running ledger with a big bait mackeral or squid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts