World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 1lb box of calamari squid and 5 decent size macki (combinened weight of macki 5.5lbs) and i paid £5.75 would u class this is good,bad or average?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know blast frozen bait seems to stay firmer once it begines to thaw. Though i've recently started bying fresh mackeral from ASDA, big, fresh and plump... and a very good price too. I freeze them when i get home and haven't noticed any change in catch results.

Also tried their herring, though i've not really had much joy with it. Originally purchased it to use as conger bait around the local harbour, yet to try it for that particular purpose yet.

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
a 1lb box of calamari squid and 5 decent size macki (combinened weight of macki 5.5lbs) and i paid £5.75 would u class this is good,bad or average?

Well you should feed about 4 people with that, are you BBQ'ing them mate ?:g:

Seriously, I get mine from the chinaman across the road very cheap, but that sounds about right.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
sounds about right if the macky's ammo ammo.

i thought the fish in supermarkets were frozen and de frosted, i know the tesco ones are. you can't beat ammo IMO, i'm never use anything else.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Go down to your local Chinese cash and Carry you should be able to get a 5lb box of squid for around £5.00

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
In the summer scruffy chav kids on the pier ask me for some mackerel, for food i presume. A few times i have given them some old defrosted stuff thats been in the freezer for months. I thought 'have that you scrotes i hope you get food poisoning' hope it keeps them from walking on the piers and hasteling people, trying to steal gear and intimidate people. One reason why i try and fish out of the way marks when the macky are in, it just is not worth the hastle.

·
Registered
24,767 Posts
In the summer scruffy chav kids on the pier ask me for some mackerel, for food i presume. A few times i have given them some old defrosted stuff thats been in the freezer for months. I thought 'have that you scrotes i hope you get food poisoning'

Bas-si -instinct ..

Lets hope no one treats you the same !
Intentionally giving bad food in the hope of injury could see you on a sticky wicket especially now you have posted your thoughts.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i don't give anyone my fish any more, not unless i know them, or can see they aint gonna sell it, there's plenty of old folk along my road who'd eat them if i don't want em,

reason i stopped giving them to people is simple, a bunch of chavs (well, pikeys more like) came along asking for a couple of macky, i gave him 4, then realised they'd done this all along the arm, and were then trying to sell them to old folk in the coach park at a quid each, saying they'd caught em, not havin that !

me n my kids were b-b-q'ing them straight outta the sea that day, had about 20 tween 5 of us, off the hook, heads n guts off, straight on the barbi, still wriggling ! we cooked about an extra 15 macky that day for the old folk whod walked down along the arm, much more satisfying, seeing people enjoy proper fresh fish, for nowt, than seeing scrotes selling them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
"i thought the fish in supermarkets were frozen and de frosted, i know the tesco ones are. you can't beat ammo IMO, i'm never use anything else."
Depends on the supermarket. Some Tesco's and Sainsburys sell fresh fish which is fresh. Quality varries but it is always worth a look first thing in the morning as I have bought mackerel in sainsburys which are as good as bait caught that morning. I have also seen mackerel I would not even use for groundbait in the same store. My advice would be, look before you buy. If it looks good buy it if it looks crap leave it and if you don't know the difference between good bait and crap then stick to Ammo.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The 'fresh' macky we get in local supermarkets is anything but fresh, I wouldnt eat it and its so mushy their is no way it is going to stay on the hook. I buy from coastal tackle shops, unless I miss them and dont have any stored in the freezer, Asda and Tesco are always good for supermarket baits.

Birmingham fish market is superb, sprats, prawn, huge squid, cuttle, herring its the bream, carp, pike, perch etc that is selling cheaper than its value alive that gets me !

Great price Wilba, was that local ? Tackle shops in these parts work on 50p a frozen joey !

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
Just took a call from B'ham fish market, my chinaman is getting me 6kg of unwashed squid for 20 notes today. How many lbs is that ?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
6kg is about 13 and a bit lbs so £20....mmmm not too bad I suppose. I'm lucky in that I can get squid dirt cheap, only problem is that if I want unwashed it comes in 25kg slabs which is a bit more than I generally use in a session.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts