World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is the squid in these boxes (1lb) getting bigger, meaning less squid in a lb box???

Last year, i was using double squid very frequently when shore fishing for congers. The squid were small enough to double up (more juices). Now they are big (too big a gap between the pennel hooks) and only about 6 in a box.

What do you lot think???

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is it me or is the squid in these boxes (1lb) getting bigger, meaning less squid in a lb box???

Last year, i was using double squid very frequently when shore fishing for congers. The squid were small enough to double up (more juices). Now they are big (too big a gap between the pennel hooks) and only about 6 in a box.

What do you lot think???
Agreed, but you can only buy what is imported into the country.

Or failing that buy the small party squid.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't use party squid - it's too small lol

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont complain the big squid made even better doubled up baits

Not really - too big a gap between pennel hooks and casting hampered big time!!!

Won't be long for a d-vice heads up - but i don't use them for venues i fish!!!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Some of the squid I've had recently....I dont think they'd even fit in a d-vice, not that I would buy one anyway....overpriced IMO, would rather spend the £3.50 on a few fresh peelers :thumbs:

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fair enough for distance casting, what about bigger top hook to reach further down the bait

I like the pennnel hook to be either the same size as the tied hook or maybe smaller. A long shank wide gape pattern would be the boy for it, if there was such a thing lol...
Maybe the easiest solution is to just cut the squid down to the size i want it :):)

Still not happy about the content of squid in a box these days LOL!!!

G

·
Try your local chinese supermarket if you have one. Usually half the price of a tackle shop and you can usually check the boxes for the size you want.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I find its down to the actual box of squid, in some I get 12 smaller ones, in some I get 6 large ones, all the same to me really.
I use them for bait and to eat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts