World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly apoligies for the delay, report is from Sunday 29th April.
Left Bradwell at around 7.45am with the tide flooding and a fairly brisk easterly blowing, the intention was to fish for Smoothounds in the Middles but with the conditions ended up off Clacton after Thornbacks, bait being Herring and Squid.
The mark we fished has to be accurately anchored as we fish plain leads and let them roll round to the base of the rise below.
We had not been there ten minutes when Steve opened the account with a thornie about 7lb. We were fishing several rods and taking turns on the extra rods, my designated rod was a freshwater spinning rod with a 5000 series multiplier and 8lb line.
I looked at Steves fish and thought if I get one of those on this in this tide I'm in trouble.
The next rod to go was a spare, I picked it up, wound down and everything went solid, the fish took off uptide, cut across the tide and after a right old battle came to the boat, a fine Thornback weighing in over 16lb

Next was Terry, closely followed by John(Aquabell) we boated eleven Thornbacks in all, one of 7lb to the spinning rod, it coped just.

All the fish did not behave like Thornbacks, taking off uptide, cutting across the tide, we all commented"Thornbacks don't do this."

Looking at the weather John decided it would get a bit too snotty where we were once the tide turned and it became wind over tide, so we decided to move into shallow water where the tide run is in a different direction and try for some Bass.

Anchored in 15feet(the deep side) we changed to Lugworm baits and it wasn't long before the first Bass was caught and released. We continued to catch Bass almost one a chuck, so I decided to try some Lincolnshire peeler Lug and Squid Bass Special, 8 or so fish to others and none to me I sacked it, back to Lug.

We caught a total of 25 Bass, most schoolies returned immediately, there were a couple of keepers.
At this mark we also had, 3 6 inch Codling, 2 Eels, and wont mention the pout.

All in all a good day considering the weather conditions.
Thanks for the day John.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice days fishing,pics and report Tracemate....You never said,did ''Clubber'' have his club out? :)

Ron
Hi Ron,
Yes
We did keep some, only males.
The 16lb was female and released.
Gary

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yes Ron, the Stick was out, but not all the time, last weekend we boated 20, kept 6, Dave was close by and also had a few, but then we were uptided and downtided by people who should know better and we then stopped catching surprise surprise, hope to get out this weekend but could be iffy, off to Ireland Tuesday, promise to take the camera.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts